ugh... temp issues...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashylove1, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ashylove1

ashylove1 New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    so i went out and bought a lower watt bulb.... the next size i could find in red was a 75 watt. now the temp is way too low. it is only at 80 right now. the store wont have the 100 watt till tomorrow... can i use a white or blue light until the red ones come in??? i am suppossed to pick up my chicks tonight.......

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    If you can lower the lamp, that would increase the radiant heat to the chicks. Also, how tight is your brooder? If the top is wide open (or only wireclothed), you are loosing lot of heat and $.

3. ashylove1

ashylove1 New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    i cant lower the lamp any more than i already did... it is sitting on the edge of the tank... um... as for the top of the tank it is wide open, but it is only a 10 gallon tank and the only top i have is the fish tank glass cover....

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have always used white lamps. There are lots of fans of red lamps here on BYC but I always use white.

Now I use three 100 watt bulbs and turn them off and on to achieve the perfect temperature. They are secured including the lamp shade with metal wire and not relying on the clamp. I am using all three right now outside in a hutch.

Sometimes I go down to 60 watts in conjunction with other bulbs to get the temps right.

This works well because it is easy to wean them off slowly. Home Depot sells the clamp brooder lights as does the feed store.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How many chicks are you planning to put in a ten gallon fish tank? And how long do you plan on keeping them there?

Fish tanks are horrible brooders. They're too small and the chicks get way overheated and die. I can't count the posts on here each spring....I bought chicks and tried to brood them in a fish tank and they're all dead and what did I do wrong. Since they'll outgrow the tank in a week or so anyway, please start them out right, in a much larger space like a big cardboard box or XL rubbermaid tub. It's much easier to let the chicks self-regulate their own temps in a larger space. I'd say this board has far more posts from heat related chick deaths than cold related chick deaths.

Please don't freak out about what the thermometer says. Look at what your chicks are telling you. Chicks huddled together directly under the lamp are telling you they are cold. Chicks laying as stretched out as they can get as far from the heat as they can be, are telling you they're too hot. You want them loosely grouped around the edge of the heat, not directly under the lamp. They're amazing at regulating their own temp, given a choice.

7. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Donrae hits the nail on the head. I started with 4 chicks in 20 gallon tank. My 75W incandecent light is height adjustable depending the chicks reaction. They out grew the tank in 1 week. I scrambled and found the best solution was cardboard box. The chicks were ready to go outside in around 5 weeks. They were stinking up the house. The cardboard boxes were recycled.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

Donrae, I disagree with the part I highlighted based on what I see in my brooder. The rest of the post is spot on, in my opinion.

I keep my brooder in the coop from Day 1. One area is kept warm and the rest is allowed to cool as it will, all the way down to ambient, whatever that happens to be. Sometimes with me, that happens to be in the 50's when I first put chicks in there. But that one area is always kept warm. The walls of my brooder are wire, so it gets great ventilation, but I do have a draft guard around the bottom 12" or so to keep direct breezes off of them.

Usually the first couple of days, the chicks spend most of their time in the heated area, but by the third day they are playing all over the brooder. They do not stay in loose groups a certain distance from the heat. Some are directly under the lamp, some are in the far corners, and some are in between. When they get cool, they go warm up. It would really surprise some people how much time 5 day old chicks spend in those cool areas. Normal for me is scattered throughout the brooder, not loosely grouped a certain distance from the heat.

I'd go bananas trying to keep the entire brooder the "perfect" temperature. And I'd probably lose chicks. It is hard to keep it just right. I'm sure the area directly under the lamp is overheated a good part of the time. They have room to self-regulate. I don't lose chicks, and they acclimate much faster than being kept in a hothouse environment. By keeping then in the coop from Day 1, I don't have dust or stink in the house and I stay married.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I also agree your tank is quite small, though its not impossible to brood chicks in an aquarium. I'm using a fish tank to brood some chicks right now, but its a 75 gallon breeder tank (wide and tall). I've found a 40 watt white bulb keeps the temp perfect- which is about 85° for me. I never go by the 90-95° rule, it just takes them way to long to feather out, IMO. If all I had to brood in was a 10 gallon tank, I think I would skip the heat lamp altogether and use a small heating pad covered with a towel, hot water bottle or rice filled sock (which you just pop in the microwave to warm up). Too much heat will kill chicks faster then not enough. Good luck...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by