Ugh, the barn well pump is not working, can anyone here help?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chick_a_dee, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Our barn well pump stopped working today, new system, just installed about a month ago, submersible frost-free, drains back into the well when turned off so the pipes don't freeze. It has a Boshart Industries Pressure Switch on it that DOES NOT have a reset lever (I am to understand, some don't). PSI on the meter reads ZERO. We've had 3 major power outages this past week, one over 18 hours. My guess is that the pressure switch did it's job and turned it off, however I don't know how to reset it as it hasn't got a lever.

Boshart Industries "says," that you remove the cover with the power on, and you reset it using the instructions in the cover, 1) is this safe, and 2) has anyone done this?

Hopefully you guys can help me out!

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    There should be a reset button somewhere. Ours is a push type button. Just do not touch any wires when opening cover, should be safe. Our reset button is not under the cover but on the outside of the box thing.

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Yeah, what i'm seeing is a lot of them have a little silver lever, and I believe there is one version of ours that has the lever, but there is no lever as far as I can see on ours. There is just a small acorn nut on top, would I have to remove the nut to open it up?

I read that you should use the eraser end of a wooden pencil to do anything in there.

4. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Quote:if contacts are stuck you may be able to clean them with a pencil eraser? or something else like a knife. This should be low voltage control power and should not hurt or shock you. It is not raining now is it? The acorn nut holds the cover on right? the contact points are under the cover. Pincher bugs get in there and stop contact on our well sometimes and need to be cleared out. From the WOMBAT. Her DH

5. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:if contacts are stuck you may be able to clean them with a pencil eraser? or something else like a knife. This should be low voltage control power and should not hurt or shock you. It is not raining now is it? The acorn nut holds the cover on right? the contact points are under the cover. Pincher bugs get in there and stop contact on our well sometimes and need to be cleared out. From the WOMBAT. Her DH

By pincher bugs do you mean earwigs? LOL. It's not raining, actually it's -16 C outside.

I'm assuming it just needs resetting, according to the company it should have instructions on the underside of the cover about how to reset, I'm not sure if the acorn just holds it on or controls the shut off psi. I expect that it just holds it on as there are no screws elsewhere.

http://boshart.com/pinfodoc.php?dtl=MDYjI0IjIzAwMw==&ck=41ce11cde579c7e2d77c763d93602855

ours looks like the top one, the bottom one has a lever... ours does not appear to have a lever.

6. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    By the picture it looks to me like it is just a nut to take off cover, then follow the instructions inside. Since you do not have the lever, your instructions will be a little different than the link you sent. Does sound like that a manual restart is what you need as if the power was out the pressure did go below that.

Brr its freezing there!

7. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Yup, we don't just get brown outs and i'm sure it'd be fine if that was the case, but our longest black out was 18 hours so far.

I got 3 pails of water out of it, but I'm going to assume it was water left in the bladder just draining out, the pressure inside the tank pushed the water out, and when gone, it was gone.

8. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    From the looks of the instructions, you will need to read instructions INSIDE the cover to start it again. The nut on top is just to hold the cover on and should not have ANY electricity to it. The apparatus inside the cover WILL have electricity though so read the instructions inside the cover carefully and do ONLY what it says to do for a manual restart until a pump man checks it out. Let us know if it starts working after a manual reset.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    If it doesn't have a lever there will be nothing inside to reset. The reset is for low water lockout. Not all installations will have it. Are you sure a breaker hasn't tripped? Is the pressure switch the only pump control in the system?

10. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:There are other controls, but they are in the right positions. The breaker has not tripped, everything seems fine but there is no pressure (reading, 0 PSI). We're getting our well guy out, its all guranteed and warranteed so he'll do it for free obviously. Hopefully he can install a different pressure switch, with the reset option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by