Ugh...they're making my crazy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by myhubbycallsmechickeemama, Jun 15, 2011.

1. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I have 26 BO pullets that are 12 weeks old and they are making me crazy! Every night when they go into the coop they all go to this one corner and they just pile on top of each other. We thought maybe they wanted taller roosts so we built those today. Well, tonight we go in to check on everyone and close the coop up and all of the RIR pullets are on the very top of the new roosts and all of the BO's are all piled on top of each other in the corner. Any idea why they are doing this? I'm so afraid that I'm going to go out and find squished babies. Thank you for any insight before this chickee mama loses it!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My brooder raised chicks normally do not start to roost at night until they are 10 to 12 weeks old. Other people on this forum report earlier or later starts. It seems to vary with each of us, sometimes quite a bit. Until they start to roost, they sleep in a bunch on the floor, usually in a corner of the coop.

I don't know what triggers them to start roosting. My broody raised chicks are usually roosting by age 4 weeks since Mama teaches them, so they are capable of roosting earlier. But until they start to roost, they like the company of a big bunch on the floor.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree, at 12 weeks they are strong enough that they can move and will not be smothered. Don't worry about it, they will figure out the roost on their own.

My broody raised chicks will roost earlier too, they want to still be by mama, and she wants to be on the roost. Right now, my broody hen is on the floor, in the corner, with her little ones underneath her.

Once I had a broody hen, who got her chicks to the top of the nest boxes, near 4 feet off the ground when they were about 2 weeks old. She felt safer roosting, and the top of the nest was a flat board so the chicks could still get under her. But so far she was the only one.

MrsK

4. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Orps may want a LOWER roost, ours are pretty hefty birds and feel safer getting up on a lower roost, at least to start. I know the broodies will get up on a lower roost with the babies over a higher roost, even if her normal spot is on the top.

5. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    My roosts range from 10" off the floor to about 5' to the top. The RIR are only 11 weeks and they want to be on the very top.

The BO that are on the bottom with 4 to 5 chicks on top of them can not move but none have been squished so far. They have just started doing the pile thing in the last few days. They used to roost on my 4" roosts just fine but now......[​IMG]

6. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    My four pullets (1BR, 2NH, 1 Production red) are 13 weeks now...got them at 8 weeks. They did the same thing...then one morning I opened the coop and they were all on the top roost! Even now, when they go to bed, they lay all over each other in the corner of the coop - but in the morning they are all on the roost. I think they just like to mess with me [​IMG]

7. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:LOL....mine are the same way!!! Little poops. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by