Ugh... today is not my day!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JusticeFamilyFarm, Nov 9, 2011.

1. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    So, I went out to clean the chicken coop and let the chickens out to roam while I did so. When I finished, I left them out for a while and an hour or two later, I went down to put them back in their coop & run. I went in the run and spread some scratch to get them to come running, which they did, and once they were all in, I was giving them all a little pet. Well, my rooster did not like that. He has always been fine, I even used to be able to pick him up with not much resistance... but today he turned. He came at me, all puffed up and almost hissing. I had the scoop in my hand from the scratch, so I blocked him with that when he flew up at me, and I kicked at him (though not hard- just enough to push him down/back). I didn't leave until he turned away from me and started scratching with the girls- I guess to me it felt more like I wasn't the one backing down that way. But, at the same time I know I didn't handle it the way I should have. He actually scared me! I had read about this and thought I could handle catching him, picking him up & holding him to show him I was boss... but nope. There was no way I was going to pick him up while he was acting like that. I had to fight my urge to run! [​IMG] Now I'm afraid DH is going to tell me the roo has to go. He's mentioned it before, because we do have little ones around who like to help with the animals. I've always said that I wanted to hatch one batch of chicks, though- and without a roo I won't be able to. Plus, we had one pullet with Mareks a while back, so for one- I was hoping to hatch some strong chicks from all my other hens & roo who were resistant to Mareks; and two- that means that I can't re-home him. I hate to put down a perfectly healthy (just mean) roo, you know? And I don't have it in me to process him, so he won't be going in the freezer for food, either. I'm just having a bit of a pity party for myself right now, I guess.
    Then, after the rooster debacle, I went in the coop to check on a hen that had been in the nest box for a while and what do I find? Half of an egg shell on the floor of the coop! Someone broke and possibly ate an egg! This has never happened before. I'm hoping it was just a fluke, maybe the egg got pushed out of the nest box and broke? I will be putting higher fronts on the nest boxes, but I do also have one hen who has laid eggs on the ground the last 2 days- so it may have been hers and not fallen from the box.
    Anyway- today was just not my day with the chickens. [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I'm sorry your roo stood up to you. One of mine challenged me twice. I have kids who love letting them out and having interactions with the hens so they were gone that next week. I hope you have no more incidents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by