ugh...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AJ666, Jul 27, 2010.

1. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    I have had my 7 chickens for over a month now, and me and my dad are really set on getting to work on the chicken coop this weekend. THe problem? WE DONT HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT WE ARE DOING.
    OK, so first we were gonna get 3 chickens, but I couldnt decide on breeds, so we bumped it up to 5. We ordered them, got two extra (I was in a "just for the heck of it" mood) and now we have seven. In my mothers eyes, that is WAY to many. Our original plan for a coop was to build this portable thing, I'll put the link down below. I thought we'd still be ok to build it to house 7 chickens, and now I have been proved wrong. Apparently, it is barely big enough for three, according to BYC members. SO I found a permanent coop plan, that I REALLY like. But now my dad says no. He wants a portable one because he and I both know that the chickens would tear up and strip their permanent run of vegatation within a couple days. I have seen it happen before.
    Heck, if money grew on trees, I would build the portable coop for the summer, and permanent for winter. But we all know very well that money does not grow on trees, and my dad is no Bill Gates.
    SO now he and my mom want to "thin out the flock".
    Friends of ours just lost two of their three chickens in a coon attack, so they are currently without enough eggs. My dad suggested to me that we give them the RIR for starters, and then we could build the "chicken tractor". I told him it wont make a difference if just one chicken is gone, of course I was dumb enough to say that. He said "then lets give them more then one."

AW HECK NO!!!
    I couldnt stand to lose "Red", let alone more of my little fuzzy-butt thundering herd. I need (affordable) coop designs NOW!!!! SOmeone should help me please, I'm sure you guys know what its like to lose a member of your flock.

"Tractor" design:
    http://richland.uwex.edu/ag/documents/ChickenArcAdamHadyDesignOnePage.pdf

Permanent coop:
    http://www.buildeazy.com/chicken_coop_1.html

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    You can build this for less than $75 depending on where you live it COULD be permanent with a little modification.

3. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Quote:Which one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by