Ughh something got my duckling :-(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by missmaryb, Mar 29, 2011.

1. missmaryb

missmaryb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    I started putting my ducklings outside at about 10 days ago I think...bringing them inside when I wasn't home to keep an eye on them (the youngest was 4 weeks old and the two older ones about 6 weeks). Well, I fell asleep on the couch with a pounding migrane, woke up and went to feed them only to find all three of them dead. Something attacked them, tearing open their necks but did not eat them. [​IMG]

My next batch is due to hatch in about 2 1/2 weeks so I am determined to build something significantly more secure before they are due to be put outside.

2. VOX

VOX Chillin' With My Peeps

raccoons maybe?.... possum?.....i keep a loaded shotgun ready to blast any predators i see......love my duckies...and im sry about your loss.. [​IMG]

This time try to build somthing where nothing can get in...also build it where the duckies cannot poke their heads in and outside of the cage or coons will rip their heads through the cage...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] so sorry it could have been a cat or dog. I don't think raccoons hunt during the day. I would make a run with a top on it makes it harder for predators. I would also use welded wire and not chicken wire good luck and I hope all your duck eggs hatch.

4. VOX

Quote:yeah if it was day time could been a dog or cat......find what did it and blast it to pieces...thats what id do [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  5. missmaryb

missmaryb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    Quote:yeah if it was day time could been a dog or cat......find what did it and blast it to pieces...thats what id do [​IMG]

LoL I also keep one of my rifles loaded so I may just do that

6. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I don't think a raccoon would kill them just to kill them, like others said probably a cat or dog. [​IMG] So sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking.

7. VOX

Quote:you ever know.....tho i think it was a dog/cat...

8. VOX

LoL I also keep one of my rifles loaded so I may just do that

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    missmaryb:

I'm really sorry about your babies. How horrible.

FYI for in the future--
    I live in a semi-rural area with a lot of predators (wolves, foxes, raccoons, eagles, hawks, dogs, cats, etc.). Even before we started to raise chickens, ducks, and a goose, I was nervous about my dogs' safety. I don't know if these things would help if needed, but I keep a baseball bat, can of pepper spray used on dogs (sold at Petsmart), a whistle, and a super bright flashlight/spotlight by the door.

You gave the ducklings a very happy home. Good luck with your next batch.

Sincerely,
    Amanda

10. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I'm so sorry. We lost 2 of our duckies to our own dog a few weeks ago. He got 2 of the 3 we had.

Good luck with the next batch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by