Ughhh, My poor little pullet. (PICS)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happyhens44, Jul 23, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I think Chip (thats her name) at the bottom of the pecking order:( Today I saw my Bigger black pullet chase her then I saw my white rock kind of come after her because she walked by her. Chip likes to hang around me because The other chickens know not to come near me and start being mean to my little girl [​IMG]
    Chip is kind of small for here age i think shes a smaller breed. the ages of my chickens range 10 weeks - 17 weeks shes 14 weeks

MY 17 week old barred rock roo is at the top of the pecking order.

heres some of my questions

1.) how did she become at the bottom of the pecking order.

2.) will they be like that forever?

3.) is that normal in chicken behavior .

here are some photos of her when she was 10 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. Becky1961

Becky1961 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    She's a pretty girl. What breed is she?

3. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    That's normal chciken life! The pecking order can change many times over the course of a flocks life... but the smallest and/or youngest is usually at the bottom of the pecking order... [​IMG]

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    ohh ok, and sorry Idk the breed [​IMG]

5. fratermus

fratermus Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Point, Rains county, Tx
    She sure is pretty.

I think it's normal. You might minimize the damage by having more than one feeder/waterer so she'd have more of a chance of participating without getting beat up.

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same problem with my EE's. Opal is the low chick on the totem pole...she is terrified of all the others. I keep a waterer by the hutch where she hangs out so she is not on the run floor with all the others. I put feed in a tuna can for her several times a day. Ladyhawk is next to the lowest chick on the totem pole. She does mingle with the BR's and SLW's but when the RSL's and BO's give her a hard time she comes running to me and jumps up in my lap or on the arm of my chair in the run and puts her head on my chest.

Am hoping they grow out of this since the other EE (Sweet Cheeks) is more or less the highest chick on the totem pole in that group of 11 who are 14 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by