UGHHH!!! Tried to reintroduce chicken back into coop but she got attacked! :(

jleigh333

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Georgia
OMG! I'm SO frustrated right now. I have a RIR chicken that's been isolated for several days because of a comb injury. It's almost healed but I put some Blu-Kote on it to try to mask it and then I put her back into the coop to see how they'd get along. My BSL chicken immediately attacked her. Luckily, I got her out of there before she got hurt. I seriously don't know what to do. My RIR has been in a crate and is so miserable but I don't have anywhere else to put her. What do we do??? :(

Try taking the attacker away when you reintroduce the RIR. Put the attacker in the box for a couple of days. Now if all of them challenge the bird when she's reintroduced, you have to let it go a bit. But don't let them get too carried away. I have a EE that got attacked by a dog a couple of years ago. She was in rough shape so I had to take her up to the house for almost a full week. She was no where near 100% when i took her back out there. I put her on the ground, and all the chickens came over to check her out, acted like she was a total stranger. As they crowded around her, she straighten her self up and stood as tall as she could. Couple of birds pecked at her, she pecked back, grabbing a hold of some of them. This battle of chicken wills went on for 15-20mins. Then the queen hen came over and grabbed her and forced her down. The EE didn't put up no resistance to her, and after a couple more pecks, everything just kinda mellowed out.
If it's just one attacker, take her away and give her a time out. If it's the whole flock, just let it go, and stand by in case it gets out of hand (Blood being drawn). A lot of what they do is not as bad as it looks. GoodLuck with them

That's exactly what I just did. I took out the aggressor and put her in the crate that the other one had been in. The other two seem to be getting along fine, although my other RIR seems a little cautious and territorial. She's not attacking the other one though. I'm just afraid if she gets pecked and starts bleeding, it will start a frenzy and they'll really hurt her. Crazy chickens. I just peace again. :p

Well darn, back to square one. The other RIR pecked her scab off, made it bleed, and I had to take her back out. I need two coops. :(

You might have to isolate the EE or the BLC for about two or three days in the crate NEAR (very important
old.gif
)the coop where the other chickens can see, her then when you reintroduce her it should all work out that was the case when I tried to introduce a new chicken into my little flock
bun.gif

I put the crate next to the coop for a while today and just sat out there and watched them. I wish I had something I could just leave outside for a few days but the crate wouldn't be safe left out there. Once the spot on her head is completely healed, I will try again. Hopefully they will get along eventually. Chickens sure can get temperamental! Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom