Ugliest rooster I've ever seen - what is he?

Mojo Chick'n

Empress of Chickenville
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Republic of Chickenville
I should ask, what isn't he? LOL I am sure he is Mutt, but it would be nice to know what is in him (or some clue, anyway).

he is a bantam - midsized, though, maybe 8 or 9 inches tall.
Feathers are compact - not loose, and he is colored like some Modern English games I have seen, but he hasn't got the long legs. He has a rose comb - purple :eek: - and yes, he is definately a roo - a year old or so. He hasn't got a nice tail - never has had one, he looks like a hen, actually.

Oh, and he is very wild, LOL.

P0003102.jpg

If ya want him, he's yours, btw - cause he has to GO!

Peace -
Meriah

Last edited by a moderator:
Sebright mix. His "hen look" is due to the Henny feathering gene- which sebrights have.. it prevents the "rooster feathers" on hackles, saddles and tail sickles from developing. Sebrights also have rose combs..

His clean legs and dark skin is a bit more of a puzzler.. the dark skin had to come from a silkie in ancestry- maybe a sebright x black skinned clean leg mutt or a cross bred back to a sebright. It's hard to get the legs clean after a cross with a feather leg.

In any case, it's pretty impressive he has dark face and comb despite being a year old. A lot of dark skinned cockerels have their skin lighten to a cranberry color or even red at maturity.

Too bad you're so far away, would have considered using him!

I'm thinking that he may be a Serama X Silkie cross...

See that deep mulberry walnut comb and wattles? And the Slate blue legs? Those are characteristics of a Silkie.

His size, and the placement of his wings are indicitive of a Serama. Almost a vertcial placement.

My best educated guess was that someone may have tried to make a Silkied Serama, which are fairly popular in the Serama market. However, this is only an educated guess, since the circumstances are completely unknown.

I don't agree with those being unique to seramas. OEG, Antwerps, and Sebrights are also small and "cocky", pointing their wings down a lot for example.

I think the Henny feathering is a very strong indicator of Sebright being in the mix. Unless Henny is widely present in seramas also? Henny is very uncommon gene, IIRC, of the common breeds in USA, only Sebrights and.. hmm whichoneisit, Campines? have this Henny gene. Most seramas I've seen do not have Henny.. but to be fair, would not be surprised if a few serama lines have it as it seems everybody is trying to throw something extra into them.. grin.. In any case, it's far more likely Sebright is involved due to it being a common breed.

I seriously doubt he is a straight cross with a silkie either.. no evidence of crest or leg feathering. Those traits are dominant and show themselves in various forms in cross birds. Especially not very likely to get a cross that happens to be crestless AND clean legged.

Last edited:
No, no don't apologize! I was also offering my opinion just like you were.

Serama could be a good guess, the only thing that made me disagree was the presence of Henny feathering in this rooster.. We both agree on Silkie probably being part of his ancestry(just not on his being a Silkie cross). In fact you did make me think maybe this bird was part of someone's project to make a black skinned Serama with henny feathering? That could explain his being clean headed and legged..

Wow, thanks for all the replies, guys !! I'll check into those breed pics.

I got him from an Amish man, so I doubt the guy was breeding them special - he is probably some mix of whatever the Amish gentleman had on his farm. He may have had sebrights, I doubt he had silkies, although that doesn't mean silkie might not be further back in the mix.

Thanks, and anyoneelse have any guesses - keep em coming
smile.png

Peace -
Meri

It could also be something other than silkie...there are other breeds that have dark skin. I think there are just too many silkie lovers on here!!
wink.png
How many toes does he have? I know you finally caught him, maybe hubby will hold him still while you take some more close ups? Well good luck finding out his breed!! Oh and btw, I have NO IDEA!!!
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Normal number of toes - no extras. No feathered legs.

When I got him as a teeny thing, I put my hand in his cage to take him out - and he came at me with both feet. He's always been a bit aggressive.

He isn't a bad roo - just doesn't like people much. He is good to his hens, though. Smallest free range roo I had - and he was top free range roo. He kicked everyone else's butt into submission. (these were roosters three times his size)

But, now I have some other chickens out free ranging, and he is trying to steal George's ladies, and argue with George - and George isn't going anywhere!! so this one has to go.

I would cull him, and be done with it, but I'd rather find him a home. I have a couple more options to try before I have to do the deed.

Peace -
Meriah

Back
Top Bottom