1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ugly 3.5 week old chicks .. first trip outside. *PICS*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by texasgal, Oct 19, 2009.

1. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    We were working out at the property (see signature) yesterday, so I decided to take the chicks out of the apt for the first time and let them be chickens.. They were initially freaked, but then decided it wasn't so bad. Very cute when a ray of warm sun shone through right in their pen .. and they began to sunbath, and try to dust bath, like real chickens.. lol. Well, real teenage gawky, ugly chickens.. lol

I think 3 of my 4 SFs are cockerels .. Here is the white one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SF Cockerel
    [​IMG]

Who wouldn't thought I could enjoy a group of little chickens so much..

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Too cute!

[​IMG]

3. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I am glad that they enjoyed their firstt ime outside... I can't wait until mine are old enough to go outside for awhile

4. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Ha! When we gathered them up in the box to take back to the house, DH wanted to know why we weren't leaving them..

[​IMG] Silly man.

It was 45 last nite .. I wasn't leaving my babies out there .. coop or no coop .. [​IMG]

5. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    Texas, Your babies are so cute, I love the little box you fixed up for them. Your DH must be crazy to think you would leave those babies outside. NO WAY![​IMG] He is indeed a silly man. I do believe that you qualify for the Chicken Fever.[​IMG]:lau:lau We all have or get it real soon, after getting a few kids. They sure look like they are having a great time.[​IMG]:yiipchick:yiipchick

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    They are adorable and look extremely happy too![​IMG]

7. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:That box transported them to the property, so we just took them out and then laid the box on it's side .. they all came out, freaked out, and ran back into the box .. it was so funny!

Little by little they came back out and started exploring .. after a few hours, they weren't too thrilled about going back in the box..

The Ameraucana is the most forward bird, followed by the white SF .. the rest of them are little followers..

Thanks for thinking their cute .. they've sure hit that gawky stage.. [​IMG]

8. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    They are so adorable [​IMG] Wow....those faverolles sure do have obvious combs already! My little EE's of the same age have nothing yet (-totally flat and a pale yellowy/skin color-no red. Maybe that means they are all hens!!!! I can dream, huh?). I haven't been brave enough to let them explore much beyond their bathroom brooder(the entire bathroom essentially). Now you've got me all excited to try and let them outdoor a tiny bit.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  9. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Texasgal: And the pic I call "Dead Chicken" .. they cracked me up sunbathing (after I realized they weren't dead.. LOL)

[​IMG] [​IMG] I did the same thing the first time I let my chicks explor outside. [​IMG] I really thought maybe they had gotten a heat stroke or something like that. [​IMG] Then I watched and they all started to lay and spread out in the sun. Duh [​IMG] sun bathing​

10. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Yeah, well, my Ameraucana has zip zero no comb either .. but I have nothing to compare it too .. I'm hoping she is a pullet.

It was fun to take them out .. they didn't like the way the gound felt at first .. they walked funny and kept jumping up flapping wings .. hehe..

Then slowly they started concentrating on what they could find on the ground, and they kinda just started being chickens ..

instinct .. an amazing thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by