Ugly Chickling, Light Brahma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GracieMarie, May 29, 2012.

1. GracieMarie

GracieMarie In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Doulce was hatched around 3/1 so about 13 weeks old. She is so ugly that she is cute. Actually I hope she is a she. But is there something wrong with her or is she just really late in getting her feathers? She only has feathers on the top. Her bottom is fluff. Also if I remember correctly, on the farm we got her from the light brahmas were white and fluffy without this much black. She even has some bald spots. Otherwise she is healthy. I don't think her bald spots are the result of the other chicks as they are all buddies. Maybe just bad genes????? Has anyone seen a light brahma like this??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Oh! she is cute! [​IMG]

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    Mine that feathered in like that was a roo....

4. GracieMarie

Apr 21, 2011
    I was hoping since she doesn't have any comb to speak off that she wasn't a roo.

5. lionkitty71

lionkitty71 Chirping

Mar 15, 2012
    Southeast Iowa
    looks like my light brahma at the same age... i was wondering about the coloring also... i think i have a male and a female..

6. cary 1973

cary 1973 Songster

well what ever she/he is its very pretty bird

7. GracieMarie

Apr 21, 2011
    Well hopefully we will get some more light brahma people to chime in. I really hope she is a hen and just fine.

8. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Songster

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    hi - here are two of my girls. they are light brahmas, 11 wks old and are starting to look like adults. i think they are really beautiful! (sorry about the fuzzy - took with my phone camera). i have four other 2yr old light brahma hens that have a little more black, but none have the gray that yours has.
    [​IMG]

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Most times when one is slower to feather than the others it always turns out to be a rooster...[​IMG]

10. GracieMarie

Apr 21, 2011
    Your light brahmas are so pretty. That is what I remember the older ones looking like on the farm. Doulce doesn't really look anything like that. Maybe she isn't a light brahma???? Now I am really confused. Don't know if she is a she or what I thought she was. I may start a thread on the breed/gender forum. Thanks for posting those pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: