UGLY coop colors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gritsar, Oct 4, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As much as I would love to be able to paint my coops in any color my heart desires and be able to afford premium paints, I can't. I have to pinch pennies. This means shopping the mis-matched paint aisle at walmart.

With my first coop I lucked out. I found the right paints in the perfect colors; two of my favorites - confederate gray for the interior, Carolina blue for the exterior.

We just got home from paint shopping for the juveniles coop. I wasn't as lucky this time. I don't have to worry about painting the exterior; it's already tan with brown trim. That will work until I can afford to repaint it.
    It's the interior that's going to be awful. I got Kilz paint and primer in one for the very low price of $7 (reg. $27), but it's "free range egg yolk" orange. For the floor, super tough paint, in brick red.

I sure hope my chickens will want to enter the coop and won't hate me forever. [​IMG]

2. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    we can only hope they will be inspired by the "free range egg yolk" color and lay lots of tastey eggs!

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Maybe they'll keep them up & awake laying eggs for u all winter. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I hope [​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

oooooooo I love mistints! I have a whole yard of things painted with mistints. Pinks, purples and lavenders, blues, greens, yellows. I've got a fence made from pallets of all colors. Just got a 5gallon bucket of "Plavender" a pinky lavender cross. Haven't decided what I'm gonna use that one on!!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Maybe you can take some black paint and use it to draw outlines of chicks and chickens, or windows, and sun rays through them, to break up the solid yellow walls?

..just thinkin'....

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Quote:OOOOOH...cool idea.

8. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Why paint rather than stain?

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:I'd love to see pictures of that!

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I've found that paints hold up better. The paint I got for the floor is called an extreme adhesion paint. Will hold up well to frequent coop cleanings - scraping the floor with the manure shovel - and any water spills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by