Ugly Eddie

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by seminolewind, Dec 13, 2009.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Eddie was the brother of my alpha roo, Ivan the Dogkiller. Eddie was always a bit weird, he was such a goofy thing. Ivan would chase him around the yard every morning. Then when Ivan wasn't looking, Eddie would do the rooster thing behind his back. Eddie was low man on the totem pole. Eddie wasn't allowed to drink, eat, or roost until everyone else did. When the flock was eating, Eddie would be standing there smacking his lips. But no one really picked on him because I think they all knew he wasn't quite normal. Below, baby Eddie
    [​IMG]

Eddie was a great baby sitter. I always had him with the chicks. He was very nice to them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Ivan the Dogkiller
    [​IMG]

Here's Eddie full grown

[​IMG]

In March, Eddie was found crouching in the yard. He was real messed up. He wasn't bleeding except where he had some of his tophat ripped out. And his eye was damaged. The next day he walked circles backwards. I hand fed him for 2 months. He didn't even know how to eat. He had to relearn everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slowly he actually got better. It took 4 months till he was eating and drinking on his own, walking normally, and crowing now and then.

Then he started to slip. He lost weight and became very weak. Then one day his comb was more of a bluish pink. We decided to humanely euthanize him. Eddie was my 1st loss. I don't know exactly how he got injured since there was no blood. But he certainly had a brain injury. I don't know why he failed after recovering. I still miss him alot and can still tear up when I think about him. RIP, Eddie

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry about Eddie... You're a good chicken mama... [​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

so sorry... Eddie was a special boy, and I'm glad he had a special mama. [​IMG]

4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Poor Ugly Eddie, I miss him....
    He was a tragic hero, I think. My favorite kind...

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaaawwww poor Eddie. I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like he indeed suffered some neurological damage poor boy.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry.............. he was a character. I too just lost my Tolbunt Roo, Chili Pepper in a similar fashion.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Poor Eddie, you did the right thing at least. I had a rooster that I was sure was brain damaged too. Somthing about him was just off. He ended up falling off a 4 foot perch and breaking his neck.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    ah... sounds like Ugly Eddie got caught doing the rooster thing by the alpha roo and got his butt kicked.

Thanks for the pics and the story.

He reminds me of Shaka Zulu... who had to be rehomed.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

What a sweet, sad story about your little rooster... [​IMG] Some chickens are special enough to get under your skin and into your heart...Eddie was one, for sure.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm sorry about the other poor chickens here. I guess I had to share Eddie's story with people who really understand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by