UglyBator-- How to do it the wrong way.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by walkswithdog, Apr 2, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Okay, I went insane and used a metal ice chest instead of foam to make my bator. Cleans up real easy.

Instead of the traditional light bulb I used flexwatt heat tape. My fan has four l.e.d. lights on it for interior light. I'd never used heat tape before, it sounded like a good option.

Problems:

Metal ice chests react to outside temps too much.
    Flexwatt has trouble keeping up.
    I didn't want the bulk of a regular lightbulb and socket - not to mention putting a hole that size in the side of the metal bator.

To keep chicks from the heat tape and to provide a heatsink, I used tile I had around and tiled the thing inside. Really nice effect. Easy to clean.

When faced with the temp swings, since I wasn't doing anything normally - go figure - I went with a 120v under cabinet puck light on a dimmer. I actually did get it wired right the first time - too funny.

I like the puck light a LOT. Since at full light it puts out serious heat, in front of it is a chunk of slate to prevent egg cooking... I thought a thin metal sheet might be insufficient and left over tile is everywhere here. I haven't completely commited to where I put it so the light is just up there with velcro stickies.

Yes, I am insane. But I've already hatched a batch in it and have more in there. So far so good, the puck is stopping the low temp part of the yoyo, the instant ability to adjust it is nice. The slate never gets hot enough to burn.

Pucks are not as cheap as the small porcelain brackets, brackets run 3-4, and pucks run 9 for halogen and 8 something for xenon.

You have to use a different and more expensive dimmer for the low voltage halogen units. With the 120v you can use a standard dimmer.

Well that's my weird and desperately ugly bator, pics to follow when I rest and mellow out. I'm just pleased the adhoc thing is working.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:Hey at least I'm willing to admit I almost absolutely refuse to do things the right way...

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    When your done with yours you can come and help me with mine! [​IMG]

5. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:LOL Melissa. As long as you're comfortable with my lifelong determination not to start out doing anything the normal way [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's just one of those things. Doing it right the first time seems just soooooo boring...

My parents had this reaction.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They didn't seem to understand that ANYONE can make it work the RIGHT way...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Well, it's twelve hours after the modifications and... it works. Temps are now stable and if the outside temp drops hard, easily managed.

I love the slate in front of the puck. Though it does heat up, it's not like the thin metal - sitting there waiting to burn me.

My biggest reason for building it was I hate the height of the foam bators. That top darn element is not built for people with hand spasms - I got burned a thousand times. That stupid lid is hard to open and falls OFF.

While the UglyBator may react too much yet to outside temps, it's DEEP and at no point anywhere in it, can I get burned being a clutz.

The UglyBator is easy to open, it's lid is hinged. Metal and tile are easily disinfected. I like the feel of tile and slate.

If I had immediate do-overs I'd use an even bigger cooler but this is what I had.

Working with metal, like drilling it, isn't as easy but you know what ? I also didn't ruin it with shaky hands and over punching foam, and metal bits clean up easier than foam bits. However you do get to file rough metal edges.

It's been totally worth it, I've had one hatch already and more in there cooking along. Since I had emergency rescue turkey eggs I also got eggs from Halo [​IMG] BBS Rocks, rock.

When they're done I'll tweak along again. I learn a lot doing things wrong. How to adapt, how to adjust ventilation/humidity, what amount of thermal mass creates stability. That wiring isn't rocket science.

I like having and making choices. So until I buy my Dickey, I think I'll keep doing this. Ugly or not.

7. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Pics please

8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Got the camera back this morning so later today [​IMG] But I did warn you, it is all ugly all the time.

9. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Yes, we want pics! It sounds really interesting..................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by