Uh, chicken dance? *video*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FabulousMandy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Can someone please tell me wth my australorp is doing? If I reach down quickly to pet her or pick her up she stomps her feet, gets really low to the ground and sticks her wings out. If I pick her up she relaxes, and if I try to pet her after the fact she doesn't repeat her little performance.

She's friendly, perhaps a little shy, but she's never shown any type of aggressive behavior, so I don't think this is an aggressive stance. I'm wondering if I'm just startling her? But what's strange is she just started doing this recently and I've held and pet her since she was a wee chick.

My other thought is maybe it's just a pullet behavioral quirk. She's 24 weeks old and just started laying if that makes any difference. I hope she doesn't think I'm some roo trying to violate her lol.

As you can see, I've over-analyzed the daylights out of this! Here's a video I took today; if you turn the volume up you can hear her stomping her feet:

[​IMG]

2. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Yep she thinks your a roo i do believe, Thats the "squat"

3. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    LOL I knew it. I was hoping it was something else, because that's slightly horrifying for some reason, but at least now I know what she's doing! Thanks [​IMG]!

4. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Yep no question there she thinks your the roo and she is doing the mating squat. Not a thing to worry about. When my cochin does that I tell the little kids that she is squatting down so they can pet her.

5. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    All of my Red Star girls began doing that last month when they started laying . It took me a moment to realize what it was they wanted. Now they squat as soon we get near them which makes it easy to bring them in after letting them play out of the pen. It does get annoying when they wont move out of your way though. [​IMG]

Cute bird by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by