Uh...my girls just killed a toad :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Beccazon, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Beccazon

Beccazon Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    Michigan Thumb
    So...yuck! I don't know if it is more intriguing, disgusting, sad or barbaric but...poor toady! They are playing keepaway now. Should I let them play or are toads not ok in their lil food chain? I guess this time my GIRLS are the predators. Ugh

2. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    There fine. Mine catch and eat toads, lizards and sometimes small snakes

3. Beccazon

Beccazon Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    Michigan Thumb
    I figured but thought best to be sure. I guess I never expected to have a carcass in my chicken run lol

4. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

As long as the nobody calls the toad cops all will be fine. :)

5. Beccazon

Beccazon Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    Michigan Thumb
    :lauI'm not telling on them!

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Toads do have toxic poisons in them. They're not really harmful to humans or large animals. But they can be deadly to small animals like cats and small dogs if ingested. I don't think I'd let my chickens eat one personally.

7. Beccazon

Beccazon Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    Michigan Thumb
    I thought I had heard that years ago...the toxins. They do not seem to have the beaks or strength to "pierce" the toad so I have let them play but removed it when they were bored before he gets dried or rotted and could be eaten. At least they were entertained for an hour lol

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Good idea. I think if they would eat the toad I would make them very sick or worse.

9. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    A bird managed to make a nest in upper corner of our run roof. Baby bird fell out, and , well...... one less bird in the world.

Another BYCer told the story of the neighbors that had just recently acquired a puppy -teacup sized breed. It was so small it walked right through the chain link into the chicken run... and, well...neighbors no longer had a puppy.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You’d be surprised at what your chickens eat that you don’t know about. Especially if they free range. In my experience, I have never had a chicken get sick from eating a toad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: