Uh oh are we roos now???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JakRat, Aug 8, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Here is Nugget. I thought she was a girl Buff Orpington, but I am not so sure now because of her barred coloring and her now super pinky red comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here is my Maran

She is not light colored, but look at that comb!

[​IMG]

Any thoughts??

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Hm, how old are they? I'm guessing about 6-8 weeks, but I'm probably wrong [​IMG]

Your BO could be a roo, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of red at the moment. I'm sure it varies, but my rooster started getting dark red in his comb by 5 weeks and had a fully red comb by about 8.

I would hold on to your Maran--she still looks like a pullet to me.

Hopefully others will chime in who know more about Marans. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! [​IMG]

3. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    Think the BO is a Roo, The maran is to early or not enough info,mine all had the same size comb that all turned out to be hens. The BO's legs look real thick and comb is pretty large so Roo is my guess

4. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    hmm... I'd say the buff is a cockerel and the maran is a pullet.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How old are they? My BO boys look something like this
    [​IMG]
    They get those darker, shiney feathers at a pretty early age. The cuckoo Marans looks like the girls my neighbor has running around. Some shots from the side and looking down on their backs would help with sexing them. Then we could check out the saddle and hackle feathers...

6. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hmm by looks of the tail of the BO I think its a pullet. Mainly because I have a BO and she had a very large comb also. So You just really cant tell....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by