Uh oh, Broody Mama doesn't want to finish sitting....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by myfester, Oct 23, 2011.

1. myfester

myfester Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    Apparently, if you want to break a broody hen, just give her to me...I seem to have a knack for it [​IMG] One girl went broody several weeks ago, so I let her sit on the 5 eggs she and others laid under her. Well, we are getting toward the end of incubation time, so I set up a dog crate in the coop (I've done this for other gals that decided they wanted to be mama's), put the eggs and her in. Well, she decided if she is required to sit in a crate, she doesn't want to be broody anymore. [​IMG] I've kept her in there for two days, letting her out twice a day to poo and eat/drink (yes, she has her own food in the crate anyway). But she doesn't want to sit on them anymore. Just stands over them for hours and eggs get cold.

Today, in hopes to give the peeps a chance, I took the house and now am trying to hatch them under a light. I don't have an incubator and I really don't want to spend $50-$100 for one...even if I COULD find one where I live (I'd probably have to mail order it). I know folks have made their own baters...but by the time I accomplish that, the eggs would def. be no good. Other than sitting them under a bulb at a comfortable temperature on a moist towel, any other suggestions? I think they are in the final week. I can't believe this [​IMG]

OH, and is there a way to know if they are still alive??

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    my hen did the same thing only she had 10. i had a 5.5 gallon tank. my dad made a wooden cover for it with a hole for a 20watt light. i made a wire tray to go inside, under tray i put cup of water i put eggs on top. put in therometer and humidity thing. 2 days later 9 hatched and of course that was when she decided to go broody again so at night i snuck them back under her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by