Uh oh definitely another rooster in the coop

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
The lights came on at 5:00am and I opened the outside door because I heard the distinctive crow of my 22 week old WL, Foghorn. I also heard the faint crow of the banty rooster from our neighbor down the street. Then just as I started to close the door - I heard an unfamiliar squeeky crow - and this one was coming from our coop! There was a big ruckus afterwards - so I don't think Foghorn was very happy about sharing his space with another rooster. It also didn't help that Snow White was screaming the egg song at the top of her lungs. I'll have to keep a watch to see who the squeeky crower was and pray that it isn't Daisy.
fl.gif

Aside from Foghorn & Snow White (his hatchmate pullet that's been laying since she was almost 19weeks/Thanksgiving Day 2011), we also have 3 pullets that are now 18 1/2 weeks old (1 Ancona & 2 unknown grey feathered beauties). I've seen Foghorn mount both of the grey beauties and my kids saw him get on AC. I'm hoping the crow did not come from any of these. They've all grown very red combs and wattles lately & AC's comb has flopped over. So I was hoping to get some eggs from them within another week or two.

The older pullets are on the right in this picture taken just about a week ago.
97463_babies_on_the_roost_002.jpg

But we also have 9 week olds (5 Lav Orpingtons and 3 Silkies) - the LOs we figure 1 is a roo & 4 are pullets based solely on red comb/wattle development. But the Silkies - we keep flipflopping on their sex - we can't tell! My son insists the Silkies are all roosters. I'm starting to lean that way too.

Here are all the orpingtons outside in the run. The one we called Francis is on the far left - he has the largest and reddest comb. The others hardly have any comb and they are closer to yellow then pink.
97463_thursday_pics_12_8_11_003.jpg

Here are pic of the silkies
Topspin (Black Splash back) and Daisy (Partridge front)
97463_daisy_and_topspin.jpg

Rokk (Black splash)
97463_rokk.jpg

I will be very bummed if all my Silkies turn out to be roos as I really wanted a broody hen in the spring. I'll be especially bummed if Daisy is a rooster - because she/he is so pretty! So at what age do Silkies typically start to lay?

Francis is a cockerel, and if I were to be brave and hazard a guess on the Silkies this early, I'd say Daisy is a cockerel as well. (Sorry.
sad.png
) At this point I don't see anything about Topspin or Rokk that look boyish.

I'll update this when I know for sure who is a rooster versus pullet. I'll keep have to think about whether Daisy stays or not once we know the truth. Still debating about Francis' future.

Back
Top Bottom