Uh oh...first egg going to be under a tarp? What to do...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So I've been waiting for Lacy, my SLW to lay for weeks. She's about 6 months old, and has been fire engine red for at least 3 weeks now, maybe more. I'm a stay at home dad, so I watch them often. She hasn't spent any time checking out the laying boxes, so I figure it was still a while away. Until yesterday, when I saw her nesting...not in the laying box. I have a tarp going from the top of my rubbermaid shed to the ground at an angle, where I keep our river tubes and firewood...some outside toys and some hay. There she sat, in the middle of one of the tubes in a pile of hay, nesting. So she was only there a few minutes, and when I checked no eggs. I had hoped she was just hanging out.

But here we are today, and she's back there. That's after keeping them in the run/coop until after noon, hoping that if she was going to lay, it would be in a laying box. I'm having my doubts now. So when you see a hen, a brand new layer, apparently laying where she shouldn't be...what's the strategy to stop her? Do I chase her out of there? Go pick her up and put her in the laying box? Leave her be and just be happy I know where she's laying? Really not wanting to go on easter egg hunts daily, but she looks so cute..don't want to disturb her either! Here she is....

[​IMG]

2. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I'd lock her in until she starts laying where you want her to. Weeks, if need be. Otherwise you WILL be going on an Easter Egg hunt every day.

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Try keeping them in the run/coop all day until she lays her egg in there; put fake eggs in the laying box so she knows where to lie. Mess up where she wants to lay, take the hay out and move the river tire, don’t let her get over there. She will figure it out eventually you just have give her some time.

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    There's already golf balls in the laying boxes, and her laying sisters are all using the boxes. Keeping her in would probably require keeping them all in? They return to the coop through the day to eat, drink, and lay. Seems crappy to have to keep them all in the coop for days or weeks because of one insolent hen [​IMG]

I'll definitely mess up her laying spot. But without locking her down for a while, she'll just find another spot. What will she do if I walk out there right now and remove her from that spot?

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well, she laid. Yay for new layer! Boo for bad laying location [​IMG]

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Has anyone every tried moving a hen mid-lay, to a laying box?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by