Uh oh... found an egg today! ... - A journal of sorts, from finding eggs to hatching them... Update

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by PeepsCA, Dec 18, 2011.

1. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Not sure if this tiny little egg is just a fluke from one of my 2011 Guinea pullets, or if it's officially the start of the laying season around here. Normally I do not get any intermittent eggs from my flocks. (Oh boy if it IS the start of the season tho... I'll be starting the incubator 3 weeks earlier this year!). I've found smaller yolkless round eggs (fart eggs) in previous years, but this is my very first tiny regular shaped egg. (The brown chicken egg in the pic is a medium).

[​IMG]

I'll let ya know when I use it for cooking if it has a yolk or not. It's almost too cute crack open tho, lol. (And yes I am a hatch-a-holic, but no I am not firing up the incubator for one tiny little egg in hopes of hatching a Mini-Guinea [​IMG] )

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I think it's a Guinea egg.

3. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Oh I know for sure it is a Guinea egg (it's just an itty bitty one). I don't own any chickens and my Turkey Hen and Peahens aren't in the same pen with my young Guinea pullets.

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Tis' the season for hatching eggs! :eek:)

5. ozguineafowl

ozguineafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    The first egg for a young guinea hen can be small just like chickens [​IMG]

6. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:Thanks, I know... I'm not a newbie to Guinea eggs, lol.

When I said I didn't know if it was a fluke or not I meant that I wasn't sure if it was just a sporadic egg, or if one of my young pullets had just started her laying season and will continue to lay from now on for the season. Once one starts, the rest usually follow not far behind. I'm one of the lucky ones tho, my flocks start laying in January [​IMG]

7. ozguineafowl

Dec 13, 2011
    Glad to help you [​IMG]

8. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Mine won't start til March or April....but I can't wait!!!
    I am ready for hatching season this year. Last year I was not expecting to hatch, but then I decided to hatch and only hatch around 150.
    Next year I hope to hatch around 350 or 400. But you never know [​IMG] I could just get out of control and hatch a ton of them. (you know how it is Peeps [​IMG] )

9. ozguineafowl

Dec 13, 2011
    I know what you mean the free range pop up with a ton of keets every year [​IMG]

10. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Quote:How many do you usually hatch in a year?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by