Uh Oh!!! Found chicks on sale!!! VEry Pic Heavy!!!!! 48 NEW Peeps!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sfd34, May 20, 2011.

1. sfd34

sfd34 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Well lets start this off right... Last Friday I got a hatchery surprise from cackle, 38 chicks, 2 ducklings, and 2 poults. Lost one poult and one duckling the first day... Sold 25 chicks on Saturday. So I was down to 13 chicks in the brooder. Went to get a lawn mower tire and seen thry had EE's. So I wanted to get a few, and a few bantams. DH was with me and wanted some Sex Links so we bought 15... I think.. LOL [​IMG] Well on Sunday and Monday we were out of town. Came home and counted and had 32 chicks in the brooder, plus duck & poult.. Guess we bought more than we thought or my mom made them multiple somehow! [​IMG] On Tuesday broody hen hatched 8, lost one. So that put us up to 39 in the brooder... Total bird count with juveniles, layers, and chicks= 69!!! plus, 5 ducks, 4 guineas, and 1 turkey poult!! 79 birds!!! WOW!! [​IMG]

Now the fun part... I went to our local farm & home store on Tuesdy morning cause they had feed on sale.. Lord knows we like sales when we use so much! The girl told me they were getting their last shipment on chicks this morning (Friday) and the manager had told her he was marking them all $1.00. So u know me, I had to be there this morning when they brought the chicks in and bought 48!!! YES, I'M CRAZY!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] TOTAL BIRD COUNT: 127!!!! BTW!!! All the chicks bought the last week were pullets except the bantams!!! I called a friend of mine when I left the store this morning and told her so she went right over.. They didnt sell any to her for $1.00. They made her pay full price! Must be cause I bought so many!!! hahaha!!! [​IMG]

ETA: pics!!!

[​IMG]
    Warming up for a few minutes while I got everything ready! [​IMG] FULL!!!

[​IMG]
    polish baby!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Packed up in a lego box for the trip out to the big brooder!!! LOL

And this is the Big Brooder out in the shed!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    holy crow! You have room for all those?? LOL DH would kill me!

3. sfd34

sfd34 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Oh yeah... We have room!!! My DH is the enabler around here! If I say I'm gonna get 3 of these, he says Why not get 6! LOL I have the big brooders plus one small one in the house that I call Chickie ICU.. We use calf hutches that have little runs built onto them and covered in plywood for grow out pens. Once they are about 3-4 weeks old they go to the grow out pens with lights in the hutches. Plus, its getting to be 80 during the day around here and 60's @ night so everyone is good to go . We will be getting another full size coop this weekend and he will be building a couple more hutches for grow out pens.. Looks like we will need them!! [​IMG] When the chicks get 8 weeks old I integrate them into the flock in the big coops... Havent had a problem yet. Everyone free ranges all day everyday here though... Totally different than keeping them "cooped" up. LOL Edit: Spelling!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Oh man I'm just AFRAID [​IMG] to walk into a feed store I don't know what kinda trouble I would get myself into!!

5. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

127! [​IMG] you win!
    Best of luck with them.
    (my husband always tries to double my #s too haha)

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Enjoy all those fluffy babies.[​IMG]

7. sfd34

sfd34 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Quote:OH!! We will!!! Thanks!!! They are so much fun!!! [​IMG]

8. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Oh they are so cute must be such fun to have so many, mine are due today and so can't wait, so excited.

9. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Wow!! People think I'm nuts when I mention I have 23! [​IMG] mind sharing how you go about integrating them with the big birds? My littles are 6-8 weeks and my older ones are 11-17 weeks and I'm In the process of trying to integrate them all now. Our big ones free range but I haven't been brave enough to let the little ones out of the run yet.

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    lucky! my mom barely let me get my 8 babies this year! i mean i think i deserve it, i've lost five adults this year, shouldn't i at least get a round dozen? congrats on the new babies and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by