Uh oh.... I think I am chicken crazy

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
I don’t even have chickens yet and I think I am already chicken crazy and suffering from chicken math.

Here’s the scoop…. I have wanted chickens for just about forever. My husband has wanted chickens for just about never. That being said, he is willing to build me a coop and let me live out my chicken dreams. I live in a tract home in a suburban neighborhood on about a 9000 sq foot lot where, according to city ordinances, I am allowed to have five hens.

Chicken Math:I was going to get two chickens. Then my friend, who has chickens, said I should really get three. According to her, three is a better number and will also be sort of insurance in case I “lose” one. She says that, sadly, everyone who has chickens “loses” one eventually. It is just part of having chickens.

So then I was going to get three chickens but I thought, wow, what if two buddy up and one feels left out… I’d better get four.

Then I thought, well, I may as well just get five since that is what I am allowed and it is only one more than four. Which led to…

But then one might feel left out again…

Onto –

Chicken Crazy leading to more Chicken Math:I was going to get 1 EE, 1 SLW, 1 GLW, 1 Speckled Sussex and 1 Blue something or other that lays a white egg. These are all available from one person near me.

The problem is… with such a colorful egg carton that those chickens will provide, how can I possibly not have a dark egg????

Add a Marans, bringing our total to 6.

What if the EE I get is one of the odd ones that lays a brown egg instead of a blue-green egg? I REALLY want a blue-green egg. Add a second EE, bringing our total to 7.

Wow, Faverolles sure are cute and they lay a tinted egg. What if I can get the pink egg of my dreams? Add a Faverolle, bringing our total to 8.

Hey, someone somewhere said they have a Jersey Giant who lays a pink egg… maybe I should get one of those. Add a Jersey Giant, bringing our total to 9.

Hey, there is a “chicken-lady” (for lack of a better phrase) who is well-known in my area and sometimes people give her their chickens when they are moving or don’t want chickens anymore. She said she’d put me on her wait-list for a true pink, blue, and yellow colored egg layer and if they come in she’ll let me know.

You do the math on that one.

Ugh…. How am I going to decide on just 5?

Chicken-Crazily Yours,
CJ

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
Just don't overplan. I always do, and nothing EVER works out like it is supposed to!

I started out wanting a few for my son, who asked for them for his birthday last July. I am now up to 60 something, and more in the bator. You will fit in juuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine here!
wink.png

I love it!!! I know ma family isn't the only one!!! My 10 yr old came home from school saying he wanted to join the 4H poultry club...We were like..."WHAT?" Well, OK, just one...RIGHT!!! I came home from work one night to 4 cute little peepers in a small rabbit cage....I spent tthe next 2 weeks scrounging up used lumber and built a pen with run....

We love them...we have a Australorp, a Buff Orp, Barred Rock and a Columbian Wyandotte....The Rock is a prolific layer one almost every day!!! the others have just started laying also...The egg carton is never empty.. Looking now to double the size of the coop and the flock.

It is such a hoot to go out on the porch with a piece of bread and see them come running and flapping from across the yard....

Glad to see I'm not the only presently chickenless person who has chicken math issues! Little did I realize that not only is it all the pretty breeds to pick from but all the lovely eggs as well... Haven't informed DH, who like yours never wanted chickens, that I'm considerably past the 5 or 6 I orginally intended to get. Although I think he has his suspicions as he said I'm going to need 3 jobs to pay for the chickens and their coop
hmm.png

i never knew chickens were this addicting... i just wanted one rooster... one... and now i have over 32 chickens... omg...

but... sorry to tell you this... you're gonna need an olive egger... wouldn't you just love seeing a beautiful green egg in the egg basket...?

Quote:
Oh no.... I had no idea. I had neve rheard of an olive egger. You're right. I am gonna need one. That sounds lovely. I am in so much trouble...

Quote:
I know I was really surprised when I realized how much it costs to put together a coop. We are either going to do The Minimal Coop from Building Chicken Coops for Dummies or the free Purina coop. Good luck with your new chickens!
smile.png
It sounds like you are as excited as I am!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom