1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Uh-oh! I think I got 2 boys!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Misskelleygirl, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Misskelleygirl

Misskelleygirl New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    Boise, Idaho
    So its early....they're 3 weeks old. But my Silkie chicks are jumping up & flying on each other. Is it too early to assume they're cockerels?

Do pullets do this as well?

Side note: They're still snuggling up and sleeping together, moments after these episodes.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Chicks (no matter what gender) usually start developing the pecking order between themselves around week 3, 4 or 5. So, your chicks might be doing just that and are jumping at each other to show dominance and try and figure out who fits where in their flock.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree - my friend had 2 female serama chicks that were always chest butting - of course serama's have big chests - so quite an impact. She thought they were roos but, 5 years later they are STILL females[​IMG]

4. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Yea when they start doing this they sure do look like roos but like they said they are just setting up the pecking order. My hens still do this to each other and my roosters just look at them like they are nuts! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by