uh oh i think i might have screwed up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gnatboy113, Aug 10, 2013.

1. gnatboy113

gnatboy113 New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    So my daughter and I have decided to start a chicken raising adventure . So we bought a incubator and went down the road and got some fresh laid eggs from a neighbor. Here is my concern . When me and my daughter were writing the date on the eggs . I let her wipe them off with a wet wipe (like the kind used on a babies bottom ) . Now I read that it might not have been a good idea to do that . So what is the verdict have I ruined them all or not ?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'm not sure the chemicals in the wet wipe is terrific. If you're just starting? I'd start over, honestly. 21 days is a frustrating long time to wait for failure. If you are already two weeks into this? Candle them and see what's up inside. If you've got good things happening, keep on going!!

Rough handling is the primary cause of failure. Of course, the eggs must be fertile, but rough handling, stored in too warm of temperatures or not stored properly before incubating, eggs freezing in winter, things of that nature.

Here's to wishing you success on your venture.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    The wet wipe wasn't such a great idea. Yeah, if you haven't set them yet, I'd get a new dozen, just to be on the safe side. If you can't get another dozen, or you've had them in a few days, I'd leave it be.

1 person likes this.
  4. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    The chemicals in some wipes are to "quick dry" a baby bum...and can be residual so it'll be a humidity fight the whole 21 days depending on how "good" she wiped them down. Do you have room to get a new set to do AND Keep them, try it and explain to your daughter you're going to make a go at it and see if any of them (im thinking/hoping most of them) will hatch? Could sell the extra chicks (who doesn't want double the fluffy butts!? Just be sure to remember: "subtraction" is the HARDEST part of chicken math!
    Check the baby wipes...what kind, what ingredients? Some are aloe and water only...avoid trying tho if you see alcohol or other chemicals listed.

5. gnatboy113

gnatboy113 New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    ok well thanks to u guys for the info. i have left the eggs to set and they have been in the bator since the 8th . so i couldnt take it any more and i candled a couple , and i really wish i knew what i was looking at . i tried to get pics for u guys but i cant get the clarity i need. I can definatley see dark spot that is floating in there . and this dark spot has a darker spot in it . Is this what i should c in 4 days or not? Also If I were to crack a couple what should i expect to find if they r good , or if they are bad?
    Again thanks to yall who helped.

6. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    At this point, leave them alone.

If you have a good flashlight to candle, it should look a bit like a spider- dark spot in the middle, and thin red lines going out from it. If your flashlight isn't as good, it'd just be a dark speck. Definitely don't crack any open just to see what's going on inside.

best of luck!

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
  8. gnatboy113

gnatboy113 New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    Thanks to all u guys for the info. Just to give an update . We candled the eggs again and it appears that nine of them are normal and OK two were infertile . Only a couple more days till lockdown and we will see how they do .

9. gnatboy113

gnatboy113 New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    just for an update . Today is LOCKDOWN DAY !! So i figured I would candle them one more time while is was taking them out of the turner and prepping the bator for hatching. My eggs look just like picks of eggs on forum on day 18 . The only thing is all the way up till now the chicks have been very active and this time i only saw two of them move a little bit . Should I be concerned or is this normal that they dont move much this late? I guess maybe they dont have as much room to wiggle so they just sit still and wait to bust out .

10. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I bet they're just fine. They're so squished in there that it's tougher to see movement.

I can't wait to hear about the hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by