Uh Oh...I think it's a rooster...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by E.M. Silkies, Nov 29, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    So I bought two silkie hens not too long ago. In one pen I had the two alleged hens and one young cockeral. They have all gotten along really well--as they should being two girls and a boy. Well, I acquired another pair of silkies and today I wanted to put the new pair in the big pen with the other three. I stayed and kept an eye on things because I didn't want any fighting between the new guy and the young guy. Well there was some arguing but they worked it out and went their separate ways. Well, then the 'hen' went up to him and started fussing. 'Her' hackles went up and they started jumping at each other. Am I mistaken in believing that my pen with two hens and a roo is not two roos and a hen? The hen that I believe to still be a girl never even gave the new roo a glance but started singing(as we call it). So I believe I definitely still have one girl--and too many roos.

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Hens will raise their hackles and spar just like a roo. My dominate hen and roo do that alot. She wants to be boss and is having a hard time with him wanting to be boss. She will even knock him off if he is mating with a hen she doesnt want him to.

3. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:Oh that gives me hope for her!! Thank you! I will be watching it closely to see how she acts. I took the new pair back out because I didn't want anyone getting torn up. Shoul I put them back in and see how they settle things?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Establishing a pecking order is natural for chickens. It's what they do. It's harder on US than it is on them.

The more you mess with it, the longer it takes. I would put them back in together, grit my teeth, sit on my hands and only intervene If there is injury or bloodshed. Pulled feathers is not injury.

But, yeah, it's hard for us people types to watch it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by