Uh oh. I think I've spoiled my chicken.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alecia86, Jan 8, 2013.

1. alecia86

alecia86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    I have only had penny home for ten or so days, and I have treated her like a princess... And that's what she has turned into. She squawks like crazy when I go inside and leave her outside, or if I put her back in her coop.

She also refuses to get in her coop at night, and if I pick her up she flaps her wings madly. I have had her on top of the coop, and she walks right up to me and cuddles into me, puts her head on my shoulder and goes to sleep. (Omg it s the most adorable thing EVER!) but then I can't get her in her cage. Tonight I picked her up to put her in the cage, but she clung onto my arm and I couldn't get her off. Eventually I took her back out and put her on my knee ( I was crouched), turned her around and pushed her into the cage.

I love her to bits but its getting a bit hard putting her to bed, and seeing her looking anxiously at me through the cage door. It breaks my heart :(. She is on her own ATM, I tried to get her a friend on the weekend but everywhere was shut for Xmas (they reopen this weekend). Hopefully once she has a friend she will handle it a bit better...

I've created a monster! (A frikken cute one!)

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    thats one very spoiled baby!!

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Chickens are flock animals and she sees you as a flock mate. I would definatly get her a friend or two. That way she won't be lonely.

4. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    X2. They typically do not do well as solitary animals.

5. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    I am DEFINITELY getting her a friend, I just have to wait for them to reopen. She has to spend a lot of time in her cage while I'm at work, so hopefully a friend will make that more bearable. Also getting an extension for her coop so she has a bit more walking area.

On the bright side, normally she squawks like crazy when she hears me get up. But today she didn't. I was scared se died in the night... But I found her in the nesting box sitting on a golf ball. Yay!!! Hopefully I get eggs soon :D

6. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    So proud of her. She laid an egg :D

7. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Did she laid an egg on your lap?[​IMG]

8. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    I was unfortunately at work :( lol

I have gotten up this morning to find she's pooed all over er nest box. Hmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by