Uh oh...I think "she's" a "he"

lcountry

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 11, 2007
This is my first time to have chickens and I've got to admit that I'm having a blast. My "plan" was optimism that we'd only get girls in the batch of 7 that we bought at the feed store.
roll.png

Realizing that might be a bit optimistic, I hoped that if we got a roo he'd be one of the leghorns that I could part with more easily. (I wouldn't even entertain the thought that my lovely little buff orpingtons would need a new home.) Any roo would be rehomed. No roosters at MY house. Period.

Well, my babies are now coming on 4 weeks old. Based on pictures and my best guess, I'd say we have all females...except for one buff orpington boy. He is the only one starting off red wattles and he's a bit bigger than the others - even though the same age. So I think I have a roo in the henhouse! But, now I'm wavering... I love my little buff babies! Should I give it a go with my little boy? I really didn't want fertilized eggs. Could he be separated? Is that mean?

Then the neighbors... How loud ARE roosters? We live on 4+ acres in a neighborhood of acreage homes. No rule against it, but I don't want to be the neighborhood pariah. Is it really worse than a barking dog?

Or do I need to steel my resolve and start looking for him a home?

Oh boy. Advice is needed!

Thanks!

Lisa

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:
I love hearing my rooster crow. It doesn't have that annoying quality that a barking dog has. Some roo's will crow non-stop, some will rarely crow. I'd say give it a go with your boy and see what happens. You might find him to be a very agreeable bird.
As for fertile eggs..they really are no different than non-fertile if you are gathering them daily and refrigerating. If it is just a moral, or whatever choice, then it may be better to not have the guy around. I doubt it would hurt him in anyway to be separated from his girls, but seems it would just be cruel for him to be 'left out' of the flock.

Just an aside...Roosters have many good points- they watch the flock and warn them of impending danger like a hawk or neighborhood dog approaching, etc. They are really beautiful, and since you have Buff Orp's, you may find later that you'd like to let her sit some eggs. They are known for their tendency to go broody, and such a beautiful thing to see a hen and her babies wandering around...

In the area where I live you are not suposed to have any chickens. but, we do and 2 are roosters. We have had them for more then a year now and none of no one complains to me. I check in at least once a month to see if they are bothering anyone and they all say how they love hearing them when thay even notice the crowing. We have much more of a problem with the dogs barking in the area. we do keep them in the coop till 7:30 am though so that muffles the crowing a little till 7:30 . I do haave very nice people all around me. that helps there all animal loves like me.

How loud are roo's, a neighbor has a roo, but I'm unsure where it's at, the first house in that direction is aprox 3/4 a mile away.

I'm with you, I purchased 10 chicks at the feedstore, and of my mix I have 3 I'm currently suspicious of.. although only 1 that I would bet money on (and it's the breed I only got two of, because I DO NOT want a roo of that type). LOL, I'm ok if either of the other two breeds has a roo in it, though.

As for the crowing rooster, I can tell you that we live in the middle of nowhere, but do have houses fairly close by (but woods all around and to our back). I have a neighbor I can see through the trees in the winter time, and he has a rooster. I occasionally hear that creature crow, maybe 2x a day. It's not annoying at all, actually. Maybe the trees provide a soundbreak, or maybe I just personally don't mind. But this house is a lot closer than 4 acres, and sometimes the chickens wonder into the yard across the street.

Anyway.. maybe they are loud and maybe this particular one is just quiet? It's never bothered me at all. I'm much more offended when his dogs come into the end of my driveway and poop on my lawn, and that doesn't make a sound AT ALL!

Meghan

I have several roosters... probably if I had to guess at least 2 dozen maybe more. Most likely more than that. When they decide to crow its pretty loud but not nearly so as when ALL the chickens decide to go at it including loud, rawkus, clucking, singing, Hens. My god you would think they were announcing an ostrich was born out of a chicken egg! Growling can be flock wide with all of them getting into the act. It can get really noisy here during the day. But at night I only hear like 5 or 6 getting into the act with the rest just sitting there listening. Its like those guys are sentinels or something. Very nice at night. They tend to make most of their noise when everyone around here is at work lol...

Arklady

I had pretty much the same thing happen, I named him moses. I have 5 acres and have neighbors pretty close, my neighbors have yet to complain. Moses crows regularly maybe once every two hours though when he crows about 5 time in sussession. He is the sweetest Buff orpington and takes good care of his girls and knows I am top roo. Here are some pics of him and his first babies I just hatched out.
Any questions feel free to ask. : )

100_0931.jpg

100_0956.jpg

Chicks013.jpg

Also this is another BO I have at the moment, he is about 8 weeks and has turned out to be roolet and that is speckled Sussex pullet behind him for comparison

100_0992.jpg

Thank you all for the info and understanding. I think I'm going to give it a try. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll be at least relatively quiet and stays sweet.

The idea of little babies in the spring is a pretty fun thought. I'm too much of a softie to "make soup". When you hatch eggs, what else do you do with the little ones - particularly the males? Do you sell them or give them away?

Roo questions -

Will I need any special care or anything with him to keep him sweet or is it mostly up to his personality?

Since my little roo-boy is the same age as the girls, can I just leave them together as they grow up?

Is 6 hens enough for him? Do all roosters (for lack of a better word) "overmate" and pull the hens feathers out?

Fertilized eggs... Well, I was hoping just for easiness sake, not to have to deal with it. But, I already planned to gather eggs daily - so I guess I can just get over myself and deal with it!

Thanks again. Outside of hubby and kids, most family and friends think we've gone NUTS. It's so fun to have found a group of people who enjoy their chickens too.

Lisa

You can sell or give away the extra roo's that hatch- it's up to you...those are really the only options other than soup.

Just handle your roo often and make sure you always behave 'dominant' so he will know that the hens are yours and not his. There is a great thread on this- I'll look for it and post the link when I find it.

Yes, cockerals and pullets of the same age are fine housed together. And yes 6 hens are okay, but a few more will probably be better. You'll have to watch and see how 'active' he is and how your hens fare his attention. Just use your better judgement.

Fertilized eggs are no different, really, than unfertilized. Gathered and refrigerated daily...you'll never know the difference.

Here is a picture of the main "suspect"... Ok, for all of you with way more experience (that means anyone with chickens for longer than 3 weeks!) is he cockerel?

And... I had thought I might get a silkie or two. Could they go ok with a buff orp roo? Can a regular sized rooster have bantam hens in his flock?

Here's the pic - sorry it's a bit blurry.

Back
Top Bottom