Uh oh, is this the making of a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop de Grille, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    My Silver Laced Wyandotte babies are 15 days old and one of them has started to look like this:

[​IMG]

The other three look like this:

[​IMG]

Is this a Roo or is it still too early to tell?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I'd say roo but it looks pretty different from the other, almost like a single comb

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's too early to tell gender. That comb is not the sign of a roo so much as the sign of inconsistant breeding.

Wyandottes should not have a single comb. Your second chick has the correct type of comb for the breed.

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Quote:x2. I have a wyandotte with a single comb. Just a matter of bad genetics from the hatchery (in my case).

5. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    So there is still a chance it's a pullet, yay!

I got my babies from someone local on craigslist. I didn't think to ask where he got the eggs from or if they are from him own chickens. This is my first go at having chicks, next time I will ask.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

either bad genetics for a wyandotte or #1 is not a wyandotte [​IMG]

too young to tell yet, and single comb chicks can be difficult to sex unless you have others to compare it to, and your familiar with the breed's growth rate. [​IMG]

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    If it's a SLW from a hatchery, I'd be willing to bet that it's a SLW with a single comb. Mine looked about like that and got really early red wattles (small but definitely red), but she's almost definitely a girl. I say almost because she hasn't yet proved herself by pulling her weight around here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by