Uh Oh Kittens soon?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by JessaLynn, Apr 30, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    We have three outside cats.Two are female one is fixed and 1 male not fixed.I caught site of our cats mating and knew I should have already gotten the rest fixed but procrastinated.Sooo is it to late you think or do you think we should be expecting kittens soon? How can I tell if she is prego or not?

2. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I took my cat to get fixed and mid-surgery they called me and said she was with kittens. They asked if I wanted a kitty-abortion and fix her, or let her have the kittens. Medically speaking (per the vet) it was safer for my cat to go through with removing the kittens and sterlizing her. It was sad, but she had just had a litter of kittens one month prior. Naughty little thing!

3. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Awww how sad.I wouldn't mind her having them I guess but it would be her first litter and I've heard it doesn't go well there first time and she's so tiny I doubt she would have no more then 2 or 3.She's 10 months old now healthy but seems so petite compared to the others.

4. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    how long ago was the mating?

cats need to mate alteast 4 times to ovulate.

cats typically take 8-9 weeks to have kittens they usually start to show at around 5ish weeks.

5. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I'm not sure how often they have mated but seen them once yesterday. I'll just mark the calander and assume she is for now.She doesn't seem that interested in him though. No behavior like she's in heat anyway.

6. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:My calico was fairly young for her first litter of kittens and she did pretty good all by herself. She had 6 kittens (only 1 didn't make it). You could let her have the kittens and then take her to the vet as soon as they allow it for the spay.

I'd say the worst part of the experience was the mess the birthing left under the bed. Eew. Hehe

7. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I was concerned about WHERE she would decide to have her litter aswell.Since she's outside it could be anywhere right? She hangs out in our garage alot,would she stay in there to have them you think?

8. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd probably take her to the vet and talk to him about the situation, since she is small and under one year. She could have several babies in there and get into trouble trying to deliver.

9. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:We made up a nice comfy box for her but at the last minute she changed her mind on where she wanted to have the babies... then she readily accepted the box.

In the end, pregnant or not, it's always good to talk to the vet. They could probably give you some more sound advice on what's safe for her, how to keep her comfortable, and maybe even do a quick little test/xray to determine if she's pregnant.

10. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    It's not too late to spay (vets don't generally use the term "abortion"). Being such a young age, and the fact that there are PLENTY of cats/kittens that need homes, I'd spay if it were me. It costs a bit more, which is unfortunate, but if there were problems with mom or kittens, the bill would be MUCH higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by