Uh oh, Low internal temp.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crappie, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Crappie

Crappie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    I've had 14 RIR and SLW eggs in my bater for 4 days now. I had the air temp hovering between 103 and about 98. My internal temp on my wiggler was steady at 94.8 or so.

I came home today and the air temp was the same but the wiggler was saying 90.5.

I have no idea how long it was like that but I have a feeling I just wasted 14 eggs and 5 days.

I guess I'll wait until Saturday and candle to see if I can tell if any survive.

I could puke right now [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Did you type that right? 94.8 is too low for the internal temp to start with! What kind of thermometer are you using in the wiggler?

3. Crappie

Apr 29, 2008
    I'm using and acurite from lowes. My air temp is 100. I can't figure this out.

One of my thermometers has to be wrong

4. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    If you are using a still air incubator, it's not unusual for the air temp to read higher than the wiggler temp. The wiggler temp is the one to believe since it is represents the internal temp of the ggs. Internal temp should ideally be 99.5. Sometimes the wiggler temp will be 99.5 and the thermometer that measures the air temp could be as high as 103. When in doubt, trust the wiggler temp.

5. Crappie

Apr 29, 2008
    Thanks!!!
    As you can see, this is my first bater attempt. I'm not impressed with my first model. I have a larger and thicker Cooler now and I rounded up a fan from an old Mac. I was going to work on building it for my next batch, but seeing how this one seems to have been lost, I reckon I should go ahead and get it built now.

I'm going to raise my temp in this one and see if that helps. I fear I've lost these eggs.
    Sadly two of them are the last eggs one of my hens layed before dying. I was hoping to hatch them in her memory.

I always wondered when y'all was talking about bater temps is that was the wiggler temp or air temp. I should have asked.

I'll know Saturday if this is a lost cause. If there is no veining, I'll figure the eggs are ruined [​IMG]

6. Crappie

Apr 29, 2008
    Maybe it's not as bad as I thought.
    My wiggler and rolled and dropped down in the bater to the far corner from the light.
    I moved it to the middle of the bater and closer to egg level and it's up to 96.7 (and climbing).

Maybe (Fingers crossed) my eggs will be OK......

I really need to get this fan in there. I didnt' realize the variations woudl be so much in a still air.

7. Crappie

Apr 29, 2008
    I installed a fan to help prevent cold corners.
    I don't know if this project is salvageable, but I'm building "Darth Bater" now. It an improved design, larger and has much thicker walls.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by