Uh oh- My 5yo has been bitten by the chicken math bug!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by joneus, Nov 9, 2011.

1. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Just before getting ready for bed, my son, Thorin, brought me my copy of "Raising Chickens for Dummies" and the Meyer Hatchery catalog. He informed me that we have to build another chicken coop (while showing me the chicken tractor on p91) for HIS chickens... which he then started picking out of the catalog.

I asked him how many he wants. I kid you not: he said 6 while looking at the Golden Comets and Plymouth Barred Rocks. Then he changed it to 8 when he got to the GLW's and Colombians. He changed it again (to 12) when he saw the Lakenvelders. I cut him off at 16 when he added the Turkens.

Being the good mom that I try to be, who am I to say "no" and break his heart? It's not HIS fault that chicken math is so contagious. [​IMG]

2. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    SO cute! But you should let him look at that book longer and really decide or he will be unsatisfied and further reduced to using chicken math.

3. SilkieGirl

SilkieGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Morristown
    Awww thats adorable. You might need to set a limit as to numbers then let him pick his breeds.

4. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    I told him we can talk about it some more when he's old enough to join 4H, lol! I'll indulge him as much as I can on this one, but he will have to be old enough to take care of them if he's gonna call them 'his'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by