Uh OH! my glass top stove

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChooksinChoppers, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Yesterday I lifted a pan off my stove...just that...lifted the pan to remove the already cooked food, and I heard a loud bang! The glass on the stove top cracked! Now what? will it have to be replaced? Has any of you heard of this happening?
    If I had slammed the pan down onto the stove, I would understand..but this? sheesh. The only thing I can think of was cool/cold air coming in through the kitchen window hit the hot burner circle [​IMG] What if liquid gets down the crack now?
    [​IMG]

2. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! What kind of pan was it? Hope it's still under warranty. I'm not sure you should use it till it gets fixed unless you can use burners that aren't affected by the crack.

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    It was just a reg old frying pan..not even cast iron. not sure if it is still under warranty, I will have to call the landlord I suppose, then he will find some way of blaming me for it. [​IMG]

4. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Okay, I don't have a glasstop, so I'm not speaking from experience...but I really think you're supposed to get the top replaced once it cracks, to avoid risk of electrocution. [​IMG]

"The top can not be repaired. The glass must be replaced . DO NOT USE IT CRACKED!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very dangerous as it can explode from the temperature. Also this is a severe electrical danger as glass top units have exposed elements underneath. Any liquid at all can short it out and cause a fire. I don't know if it is worth repairing." This is from an appliance repairman posting on fixya.com. I also read how some people used theirs for years after they cracked, just being really careful to keep liquids/fat away from the cracked portions...but I don't really think it's worth the risk. [​IMG]

We were thinking about getting a glasstop, until I read that it could complicate canning. And I really don't want an appliance that we will have to baby, so we'll probably just get a regular electric coil range instead. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    This is my biggest fear with those stupid glass tops... just waiting for it to happen here.. [​IMG]
    And i will NOT be buying another one either!

6. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Yep. I hate mine. I wish I had a gas stove.

I think my Mother had her glass top replaced.

7. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    chocolate m'scovy :

Okay, I don't have a glasstop, so I'm not speaking from experience...but I really think you're supposed to get the top replaced once it cracks, to avoid risk of electrocution. [​IMG]

"The top can not be repaired. The glass must be replaced . DO NOT USE IT CRACKED!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very dangerous as it can explode from the temperature. Also this is a severe electrical danger as glass top units have exposed elements underneath. Any liquid at all can short it out and cause a fire. I don't know if it is worth repairing." This is from an appliance repairman posting on fixya.com. I also read how some people used theirs for years after they cracked, just being really careful to keep liquids/fat away from the cracked portions...but I don't really think it's worth the risk. [​IMG]

We were thinking about getting a glasstop, until I read that it could complicate canning. And I really don't want an appliance that we will have to baby, so we'll probably just get a regular electric coil range instead. [​IMG]

I have to get appliances repaired at work.those can't be repaired.and the top costs more than the entire stove.[​IMG]

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    It makes no sense to me why a manufacturer or anyone for that matter would even think of a "glass" topped stove. I went shopping with the Missus for stoves since we want to go to a gas flame rather then the electric coil we have now. 90% of the stoves we saw were glass topped-----What? Why? We use heavy cast iron and do canning---I can just imagine what a heavy canning pot at high heat would stress the glass. I usually cook outside on the propane.

9. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    When we finally get around to remodeling our kitchen, I want a gas stove. That's one thing hubby's balking at tho'. We'd have to put in a propane tank just for that since the rest of the house is all electric and then we'd have to buy a propane conversion kit for any new stove we buy. All add up to extra $$$ hubby thinks we can spend elsewhere. I do ALL the cooking, so what does he know in regards to whats best here??? [​IMG] Before I moved to WA, every other house I'd ever lived in had gas stoves/ovens. Loved it! I'm sick, sick, sick of the electrical coils I've had to deal with since moving here - had thought about going with a smooth glass top, but maybe not after hearing this! [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I want gas stove soooo bad! But the problem is, i have no other "gas" in my house..so to get them to deliver they charge CRAZY fees! Plus, i'd have to have all the gas lines put back in...
    *sigh*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by