Uh oh...Neighbor's hunting dog smells my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsbos, Sep 14, 2010.

1. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I don't know how I didn't foresee this issue. I am a first time chicken owner who got 4 EE chicks (now I've learned they are NOT Ameraucanas) about 5 weeks ago. Since the weather has been sunny and mild recently, they've been spending most of the day either free-ranging outside in my large backyard (supervised), or in their Eglu coop and run when I'm not outside. Though chickens are not technically legal in my residential area, I got the blessing of all my immediate neighbors to have them. One next door neighbor happens to have a hunting dog named Blue who enjoys quail hunting. I guess today, Blue was outside, and my chicks were outside, and the chicks were scratching around along the fence line between our houses. That afternoon, I put them back in their coop when I went back inside the house. A few hours later, I go outside to check on them and notice a large pile of dog poop in one of my flower beds and all the chicks cowering in the nesting/roosting box of the coop. I was baffled because I have 6 ft. vinyl fencing all around, and all my gates were locked. Soon after, the mystery was solved when I saw a large hole dug under my fence behind some raspberries. Blue probably got a nice whiff of chicken when they were scratching by the fence, and he couldn't control himself! Dug into my yard and terrorized the poor chicks. Fortunately, he couldn't get into the Eglu, so they were all scared, but untouched. Now I've got to find a way to keep him from getting into my yard again!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Sounds like time to talk [​IMG] to the neighbor about their dog in your yard.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Try and keep the peace. Since you already have a fence you're more than half way there. Just secure it a little. Neighbor issues can be rough.

Most dogs named Blue are pretty cool.

4. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Fortunately, my neighbors are all very nice, so I'm sure the issue will be resolved with no problems. We may have to put some wire mesh along the fence line on their side or my side to keep the dog from digging. I don't really blame the dog---he probably thought he hit the bird jackpot when he smelled the chicks so close by. I'm thankful all the chicks were safe in their run, and really I'm more upset about the big steaming pile of dog poo next to my patio...GROSS! I'm just hoping at some point when the chicks are full grown, that I won't have to constantly keep an eye on them while they are free-ranging. I can't prevent hawks from swooping in, or neighborhood cats from visiting, but hopefully no other dogs will make it in!

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You've got a good attitude about the whole thing. It will work out. Chickens are low on the food chain and lots of things like to eat them. Small bushes can give them cover from hawks and higher roosts can give them somewhere to hop up away from a dog. EE's are good flyers.

6. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I'd reinforce the fence by digging down and putting boards along the fence. Most dogs dig, hit the boards and that stops them. I recommend 2x8s or 2x12s.

Buried fencing or rocks also works. I have 4 Alaskan Malamutes and owned a gazillion sled dogs who were escape artists, but I managed to keep them there.

If your neighbor is really nice, just let him know his dog "visited." He might help reinforce his side of the fence.

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    There is a electronic device that produce sound that keep dog away. You can put 1 near the coup to discourage the dog.

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I agree with putting some kind of barrier or boards on your side of the fence, perhaps buried a little ways down to prevent or discourage digging. A friendly talk with your neighbor would be nice if you know that he won't be angry. You don't want to make your neighbors made and turn your chickens in.

9. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i have heard that you can put red pepper along the fence line and when they smell it they will stay away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by