Uh oh.... Now what??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momma_Cluck, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    We had to help a chick hatch as the membrane had dried---
    we tried putting the baby back with the Mom before she finished coming out--
    And the Mom attacked it!
    SO-- we have baby in a brooder in the bedroom-- she's imprinted on us..

BUT: To tell the truth- We never really expected any of these eggs to hatch! Few have been fertile-- we were just letting our broody try anyway to make her happy.....

I didn't think ahead- and do not have any chick crumbles! Only 19% Flock crumbles.... Will this be ok until we can get plowed out of this snowstorm, since I know she probably won't start to eat right away anyhow??? Should I supplement it??

Thanks all!!!

2. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    I'm so glad your baby is ok!! I just put 31 eggs in the bator this morning! I have never done this before. I'm pretty excited!!!![​IMG] I dont think that you can give the baby 19%. Try maybe some oatmeal.... and water of course. Not really sure though...but lots of luck!!!!

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You can chop up some hard boiled eggs and feed it to the chick.
    Good luck with the litle one.

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Scramble or boil an egg, babies love these! And they are full of protien!! Good luck!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Try the flock crumbles and water until you can get some Chick Starter. I think my Chick starter is 18%. I just went out and looked and my Chick Satrter is 18%.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  6. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Thanks All!
    She is doing great!
    Seems lonely-- cries until one of us comes-- then climbs up in our hand and goes to sleep! awww!

I am giving her electrolytes and vitamins in water (Very diluted) she drinks tiny drops of it out of my fingernail! LOL!

Had wondered about Scrambled eggs, and maybe even Grits with oatmeal... (not chicken grit-- corn Grits-- I was brought-up southern! LOL!)

Thank You for your input!

Happy Holidays!

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm pretty sure chicks are supposed to be able to go 3 days without food or water after hatching, so that should give you a little extra time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by