Uh Oh, One of Mine Looks Like It's Dying Of Heart Trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WVDan44, Oct 23, 2011.

1. WVDan44

WVDan44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    MD
    Mine are now 5 wks old. They spend the day outside basking in the sunshine and scrounging around. I had to shoo them inside after dark because they just lay down outside their door on the cold concrete. After they settled down, I noticed one of them laboring to breath, by opening it's mouth and breathing very hard. It's comb is darker than the others being a bit on the blueish side. It either has heart trouble or lung trouble. I hate to have it die during the night because I hate to waste a good bird, but I don't feel like harvesting it this late in the evening. I've only lost two out of 26 thus far. This would be the third. What do you think I should do? Should I go ahead and harvest it or what?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would, its only one shouldn't take that long just skin it, that's faster

3. WVDan44

Jul 22, 2010
    MD
    That's a good idea. I was dreading the scalding, plucking, and singeing, although they don't have all of their feathers yet. Still, it's not a job I want to tackle at 9:30 at night, you know? So skinning would not take nearly as long. I'm going down there to see how it's doing. Thanks for the reply.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    No problem

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I would quickly dispatch, skin and gut at least. Pop it in the freezer and finish making it pretty later.

6. WVDan44

Jul 22, 2010
    MD
    It is now in a bowl of salted water in the fridge. The craw was impacted, hard and lumpy as a ball of clay. What do you think? Did it eat itself to death or have a digestive problem? It was wheezing when it tried to breath. I think the craw was obstructing the windpipe. I just weighed it on a very good food scale and it came up 3.442 lbs. dressed without giblets or skin. Doesn't that seem a bit large for the age?

Man does that thing seem to be tender and succulent. I just roasted a 7 1/2 lb. store bought roaster today, and it is very good, but I betcha this one will be very good as well. I'll have to freeze it though...bummer. Or I could freeze the one I cooked and cook this one. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by