Uh Oh! one of my 'bators was running at 105-106 last night! Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhen, Jan 10, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] <<That about explains it all!....i woke up this morning and first thing i did was check my bators temps...well..one was fine...but the others temps were 105 and another therm. in there said 106.....i am like on day 2-3?...Sooo, should i just throw these eggs out now? is there a chance some will still make it? i have about 30 quails in there and 12 of my own girls mixed eggs....[​IMG] also..i want to add...i do have a PC fan in there for air flow.., thanks, Wendy

2. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG] ...how long has it been at that temp? Remember, those puppies can spike and come down on their own. Don't be quick to crank it down. Watch it for a couple of minutes and then slowly (did Bryan put the dimmer on it?) turn it down. Call me if you want to! [​IMG]

3. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    I'm hesitant to reply given that I'm only 12 days into my first attempt...but a similar incident occcured here.

For the first 3 days, I trusted the thermometer that came with the LG 9200. On more of a whim than anything else, I decided to place a medical thermometer in the incubator to confirm the LG thermometer's reliability. The medical thermometer registered 105 at the top of the eggs. Mine is a still air incubator which I knew meant that the temps could be lower or higher in other areas of the incubator.

I immediately made the necessary adjustment but was very concerned that the eggs would not develop.

We candled on day 6 and saw movement in 5 of the 18. On day 10, we candled again and saw definite movement in 9 of the 18 with 3 or 4 others that are probably viable too.

All that to say, the temperature was tolerable for our eggs.

Hope that helps!

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hi....i dont know how long its been like this...it was okay last night when i went to sleep...i found it like that this morning....i did turn it down though...oops!...[​IMG]....i didnt want it to cook my babies!....okay..now ya lost me again...LOL...dimmer?...whats that?..

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:yes, it does help! thanks so much! and i wish you good luck with your first hatch also! thanks, Wendy

6. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Call me!

7. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    If you are only on day 2 or 3, Don't throw the eggs out!

I had temperatures from down to around 70, when it became unplugged, to around 105.

Through all of that, I still had a very succesful hatch.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Candle the eggs at 7 days, that higt temp. will kill most. depend on how long it was at 105.
    Just wait the 4 days and check them.

Good luck.

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I agree with Deerman.

YOU NEED A WIGGLER!!!! The eggs themselves may not have gotten
    that warm.

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hey PC! where do you find those Wigglers? They were everywhere when i was a kid...i dont see them anywhere now...[​IMG]..., Thanks!, Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by