Uh OH out of food tonight :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by VOX, Jan 2, 2011.

1. VOX

VOX Chillin' With My Peeps

Grrr my duckies ran out of food for the night. Anything i can feed them that humans eat. I know bread, nuts, garlic, onions, and stuff like that are a NO NO! I was going to give them some corn but im out of that too [​IMG] , only fruits and veggies i have is carrots and they wont eat those. I know they like peas, but i only have canned peas, dunno if canned peas contain products like salt that they dont need, and canned corn and stuff, any advice?

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I'm thinking that if it does have some salt in it that one night of it won't hurt. Ok so i understand why you can't give garlic and onions to them but i thought it was only moldy bread that was a complete no,no so what about fresh bread and nuts? (not as an everyday thing just as a treat)

Edited: are you talking about salted peanuts or nuts altogether?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    IMHO...canned peas will have more added salt than frozen peas will. But in a pinch, I don't think a can or 2 of canned veggies are going to hurt your birds.

4. VOX

true, i just really care about my birds health and im just afraid. As i have hatched and raised them all by myself i just want what best for them you know [​IMG]

5. VOX

oh and i was talking about nuts in general, oh what about chicken feed? tho is has seeds in it with cracked corn...???

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    you can feed chicken scratch and cracked corn to them and they'll be fine for tonight. I wouldn't feed it as an everyday thing because of its low nutritional value but in the winter i usually mix in cracked corn and or chicken scratch to my feed to add extra fat onto them.

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    My ducks just love scrambled eggs. They also like about any protein I toss their way. Lettuce, cabbage, etc.

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

this is probably too late but i'll post anyway.....
    mine LOVE oatmeal, dried or cooked. raisins in the oatmeal(you can pre wash them if theyre sugared) almost any greens, scrambled eggs. I fed mine cotage cheese as babies too so they like that also.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  9. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    They'll eat pretty much any kitchen scraps if you chop them up small and mix with water. Meat, greens, fruit, veggies, etc. I mix it all up together and put a bit of dry stale bread and porridge oats in too and make a soggy mash for them. So long as there is no avocado, salt, chillies, onions, they will be fine. Garlic is good for them! I feed it to mine as a supplement (you can buy vats of it dried from horse feed stores). Mine also really like bananas, so when I have some overripe ones, the ducks and chickens get them.

Cooked Pasta, rice, etc too is fine so long as it is now and then, not a staple food, like everything else I guess - moderation!

If I was desperate, and had nothing else, then I would probably raid the cereal cupboard and make them up some weetabix or something similar with water rather than milk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by