Uh Oh! Out of starter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lswatson111304, Oct 31, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Until I go to town tomorrow. I was sick in the hospital this past weekend and DH and I didn't think to run to the feed store for more start &Grow. I just fed them what was left. I have a bag of scratch, can they eat that until I go to town tomorrow? They are 4-6 weeks old.

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's just for a day, I don't think it's a problem. Do you have any other household foods to feed them? Cooked rice, veggies, bread, yogurt.....

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Yes, they could for a day.

4. SilkieMan

SilkieMan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Elkview
    I started feeding my RIR chick some scratch(same as I feed my chickens) when she was 4 weeks old and it doesn't seem to bother her. She loves it so you shouldn't have a problem!

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I would cook some rice, add oatmeal, fruits and throw in a handful of scratch, it will be ok for a day...

6. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Yeah, we have household foods! LOL I guess I'm unsure of what is a better option? The scratch? Or scrounging up bread and eggs, and rice. Or whatever?
    Also since this weekend they have been devouring their food. DH fed them every day, so its not like they went without while I was at the hospital. Maybe without as much affection, but not without food. Now they are eating it all till its gone and their crops are full. Or I'm assuming that is what they are doing. Whats up with that?

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    And since they're eating things other than their crumble feed, make sure they have chick grit available at all times.

[​IMG]

8. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Rice, scrambled eggs, bread crumbles, shredded cheese, and fresh fruits are a favorite around here!

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I would think that for only one day, it wouldn't matter a ton which you gave them, as long as they have food. If it was a week or something, then I'd be more picky.

10. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup! I only recommend household foods because they have more nutritional value than scratch does but if just for a day, feed them whatever you want as long as you feed them LoL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by