Uh oh, poults roosting outside tonight, I hope they don't get eaten

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by 10ducks, Sep 17, 2009.

1. 10ducks

10ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Dexter, Michigan
    My 15 Bourbon Red poults are 10 weeks old. For the past 2 weeks I've let them out to range all day in good weather. At night, I herd them into a small pen and then catch them one by one and put them in a predator-proof coop for the night. This was working well, and they seemed to be getting the idea that they could go into the coop on their own. Tonight two of them went up the ramp, in the door and flew up to their roosting pole. I tried to edge the others in that direction, and then one of them flew up and roosted on top of the fence (6-foot high chain link). Immediately the rest jumped up and flew up there. When I tried to get a few down, they just flew over to the top of another fence a few yards away. From there, they flew to the top of the lean-to, and from there, up onto the barn roof.

I tried to entice them down with food. "No thanks," they said, "we like it fine up here; the view is great."

I'm just wondering if anything is going to get them tonight. It's not supposed to rain. They are safe from coyotes and foxes, at least. But a raccoon could get up there, I'm sure.

And I think there's probably a great-horned owl out there on his cell phone right now, calling up his buddies and saying: "Hey man, party at my house tonight, you won't believe what I've got in store for you... young, tender turkeys, 15 of them. Yes, you heard me right, 15! Sure, you can bring your cousin along!"

Wish my babies luck; I'll post an update in the morning.

2. logansterling

logansterling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    How'd they do???[​IMG]

3. 10ducks

10ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Dexter, Michigan
    They made it! I'm so happy! And tonight they didn't give my any trouble at all about being put away, so I don't think they had too much fun out there.

Yay!

4. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I am happy they made it because your post really made me laugh! I would have felt awful if they were hurt. Little rascals.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Mine are about 4+ mos old now. I would shoo them in to the run also. If I know I'm staying home the next day. I let them roost wherever and pray that nothing gets them during the night. If I'm going to be gone. I watch them and as soon as they act like they are going to roost (here it is about 6:30p.m.) I throw scratch into the run and they all run in. Gotcha suckers!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by