1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Uh oh...rooster might have ta go!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjaazzy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    What happens when a rooster goes to a new home, do they fit in? Are they picked on? I am asking about a bearded silkie rooster. :/

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Recently, a friend of mine had to re-home his rooster since he was too hard on his hens. He had the rooster in his truck when he stopped at the local lumber yard for some materials. He happened to mention he had a rooster in his truck he was taking to the animal shelter. One of the guys at the yard piped up, "Can I have him?" So my friend turned the roo over to him.

A few weeks later, he was at the lumber yard again, and the guy who had taken the rooster filled him in on how the rooster was getting along in his new home. Turns out the rooster is an only chicken in the household, has moved up the pet chain to where he's now got house privileges and even eats at the dining table with the family.

This is a true story. This is a chick I hand-raised and gave to my friend when the chick was five weeks old. He's now a seven-month old SLW cockerel, and from all appearances, hasn't forgotten the manners I taught him.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It depends on the flock where they go. Older hens will teach young cockerels manners by bullying them - until they grow up and take over as leader of the flock.

4. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Azygos...What a great story, I can only hope they always find great homes. Happy Chooks, thanks that what I was wondering if they would tear him apart. I would feel bad if no one monitored him real well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by