Uh-oh, Rooster?? Please take a peek and let us know!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Tessaturtle, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Tessaturtle

Tessaturtle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Well, one of our pullets in our youngest batch of chicks (14 weeks old now) is twice the size of its "siblings", has tree trunks for legs, has a much bigger comb and waddles than the others of the same age, and has a very different feathering pattern than its mates. Is one of our "sexed" chickens actually a rooster? This is our 2nd year of raising chickens and have only had hens, so I don't know what a roo would look like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is a cockerel.

3. that looks to be a RIR cockerel he's pretty to i must say,
    [​IMG]

our roo DinnerBone at 14 weeks old
    [​IMG]

DinnerBone 2 months ago

good luck with him this guy i got here needs to be culled (he's to mean)

4. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely a roo!

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Having a rooster around can be fun, they are such characters. As long as he knows the people are the bosses and roosters are allowed in your area, then hopefully the accidental rooster wont be a problem.

6. Tessaturtle

Tessaturtle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    New Hampshire
    OH yeah, we live in a country town, so we can have just about anything! I have heard so many roosters are mean, so far this guy is very understated,so hopefully he stays that way. DH definitely never wanted a rooster, but since he came naturally (by mistake! lol) we are keeping him, so long as he does not become a problem. He has been dubbed "Foghorn"
    Thanks for all your help everyone in confirming our suspicion!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by