1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

uh-oh worms in poop **pics**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by igotchickens, May 10, 2011.

1. igotchickens

igotchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    I usually get down and inspect some of the chicken's poo when I see them poop it out or when I notice it fresh. Today, upon further inspection, there were little white worms! NOOOO!! So the next step: treat it! I'm going to add a nice helping of cayenne powder to their food, but I would like to know, what do you guys recommend in addition: Wazene, Valbazen (albendazole) or Ivermectin? I appreciate any input! (Except please don't tell me to take a poo sample and/or my chickens to the vet).
    Thank you!
    P.S. None of my chickens appear ill so I don't know which had that particular poo. However, I'm going to treat them all of course.

Also. yes I see the redness in the poo. It didn't seem to be blood, although I'm not ruling it out. It looked more like strawberries or some fruit, which they just got a lot of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**EDITED TO ADD**: I assumed y'all would know what worms look like, but just in case: they're the white things on the poop. I'm sure they're worms, they were moving.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Hmmm... i dont have alot of experience with worms... but that doesn't look like worms to me... hopefully someone with more knowledge about this kind of stuff will answer. [​IMG]

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    From what I can tell, these look like tapeworms. Are they small like the size of rice? That's what it looks like. If they are real long, like spaghetti, they are roundworms. Use a good all purpose wormer that gets them all. I use Wormazole. Hope this helps.

4. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Was it fresh like from that day? the flies are really quick about laying their eggs larvae in a fresh pile of poop~ I think I've seen wormies in my dogs poo within 2-3 days before. When it's really hot out I think they grow faster [​IMG] Hopefully the chick doesn't have anything! I would definately get one fresh out of the butt and check it immediately for worms if that one wasn't. Goodluck [​IMG]

5. igotchickens

Nov 2, 2010
    yep fresh from that day, definitely not fly larvae, I know what maggots look like lol. From your description, sounds like tapeworm, which is what I suspected as I've seen them in cat and dog poop in the past.

6. debducttape

debducttape Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:You are ruining pasta and rice for me... [​IMG]

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:You are ruining pasta and rice for me... [​IMG]

sorry......

8. igotchickens

Nov 2, 2010
    can anyone post something helpful? Thank you!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you dose all your chickens with valbazen. Dosage is 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose in 10 days. Valbazen is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and can be purchased from Jefferslivestock.com
    Withdrawal is 14 days.

10. igotchickens

Nov 2, 2010
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by