Uh-Oh: Yolk? Wah!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepinglaura, Mar 25, 2009.

1. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    I jhave a newly hatched chick trailing some goop. I assume it's yolk sac and umbilical cord I see. I suspect it was born a bit before it was ready- another chick actually managed to smash part of its shell opposite to its pip. There's a bit of a pink skin protrusion and then this goop, which is more greenish brown than yellow.

Is it a goner? Is it a waiting game? Can I help? It's walking around some. It hatched maybe 20 minutes ago.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I had a baby hatch like that before...and unfortunately didn't make it. BUT, I have read here on BYC that people have had them live, so don't lose hope yet.[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    Thanks. Was the yolk sac yellow? This wasn't. How long did yours hold on?

Its wings seem stubby as well. I'm not full of hope.

4. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    If anyone here has had one live, what, if anything, did you do to help it?

5. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Just use the Google custom search engine for this forum and search "babies hatched with yolk sac" or something. I bet old discussions will come up to better inform you.

6. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it is green, don't worry, that's just basically the poop sac for when the chick is in the shell. If it's orange-yellow with veins on the outside, that is the yolk. The green thing should dry up in a day or so and fall off!

8. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    Thank you, Silkiechickens. It was green, and now it's already gone! Your clarification has left me relieved.

I had done the google custom search, but none of it seemed to apply because he posts I found assumed a knowledge of what the yolk looked like in the first place!

9. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Or does it look like this?

[​IMG]

10. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    Yikes! No, it does not. What is that in the pic? My guy seems to be doing just fine now, as Silkiechickens described.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by