Uh oh

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't know for certain yet, but it looks like two of my three khaki campbells are drakes, with only one duck. They're 5 weeks old. Their house, which they're locked in at night, is a 4' by 4' A-frame, so I don't think it's big enough for more ducks, but I don't want to part with these guys, and I couldn't separate them, as they are all very bonded to each other. I've been wanting call ducks, would getting a female call duck or two do the trick? Would the house be big enough? (They free range during the day) I'd really want to get a day-old though, or incubate, so it'll be friendly. I really don't know what to do. Any advise?

2. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Bigger house and more ducks, I don't know for sure yet w/ ducks, but you can never have to many geese so...... More ducks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Lots to figure out, good that you are thinking ahead!

The female call idea has me a little concerned because of the size difference between her and the drakes. Drakes can be pretty rough on a hen duck, and a much larger drake could really injure a smaller duck, I would think.

Storeys Guide recommends 3 square feet per duck, so you could get another couple of ducks in the night house, I would think, without being too crowded.

I would look into finding a couple of females that are close in size to the khaki campbells.

4. Miss Ducky

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    You're probably right about the call ducks. *sigh* I really want call ducks....Ah, well. So will the house be big enough for more or no? It's only a night house, though they have complete access during the day, and I feed them in there. Can I just get one more hen? Or do I need more? Do you suggest any breeds that would go well w/ khaki campbells? Preferably with a nice temperament.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    My 4 Rouens last year turned out the be 3 drakes and a hen. I ideally would have had it the other way around, since my primary purpose was eggs, but it hasn't been a problem for her. Everyone seems healthy and happy.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is a little late for me to be doing arithmetic, but let us see.

4 x 4 is 16 sf. if you were going for 3 sf per duck, that would be 5 ducks. Two more females about the size of a KC would probably work. I am not an expert on breeds, but I am thinking Welsh Harlequins, Swedish, Magpies or Runners might be worth looking into, as well as mutts in this size category.

This is based on their grouping in Storey's Guide. You might post a topic with that question and see who chimes in.

7. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Cayuga!

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    There is a lady on her near Danville Illinois selling Kahki Campbell ducks if thats not too far for you to drive. They are great looking ducks. I got 2
    [​IMG]

9. Miss Ducky

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Thank you!! Should I get one or two hens? Sheila-how friendly are your KCs? My ducks are pets, so I want them to be friendly, which is why I want day-olds or to incubate. Thanks all! Defiantly will talk to my parents about getting a duck or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by