Uh-oh

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lorisophie18, Mar 9, 2013.

1. lorisophie18

lorisophie18 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    I am very new to this. A friend gave me some eggs that her chicken had already been sitting on for what she thought to be 10 days. That would make today day 16. My daughter went to turn the eggs this morning and one had already started chirping and hatching! If my daughter picked up the egg, would it kill the baby? We don't hear it anymore!

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

no but increase the humidity and leave the eggs be

3. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    NO, it shouldn't hurt the baby, just make sure your humidity is up in your incubator and then keep the lid shut. until they are all out. It can take as long as 24-36 hours for them to get all the way out of the shell once they start. But you do need to have the humidity up and keep the incubator closed so that they don't dry out and get stuck to the membrane. Search here for Sally Sunshines Hatching 101 page; loads of links to answer all your questions.

4. lorisophie18

lorisophie18 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013

5. lorisophie18

lorisophie18 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks so much! I just raised the humidity level and closed the lid. One more question... I am a teacher and doing this as a class project for my students. Of course, the eggs would start hatching on a weekend! Lol! My question is about moving the incubator back to school. Do I need to wait until all the eggs are fully hatched to move it back to school or can I just leave them in the incubator and take it back to school on Monday? I wasn't sure if all the eggs would be completely finished by then! Thanks gain for all your help! :)

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The chicks can survive 48-72 hrs without food or water - but it is better to take them out of the incubator once they are dry, putting them in a brooder.

If you are brave enough to do this again. Set the eggs on a wednesday for a school hatch

good luck!!

7. lorisophie18

lorisophie18 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Thank you for everyone's help!! So far, we have 2 baby chicks!! I am concerned though because the oldest one seems to already be looking for water. He is trying to get to the water in the little grooves! Can I put a little bowl of water with the marbles in the bottom yet? I don't want him to be thirsty!

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

if the others have not pippid and the chicks are dry, take them out, and place them in a brooder. dip their beals quickly in the water

9. lorisophie18

lorisophie18 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Well yesterday we watched as 5 baby chicks hatched throughout the day. The first one at 8:04am and the last at 11:39pm. I was getting ready to put them in the brooder tonight and guess what?!? Another baby chick!! It hatched tonight at 9:54!!! Does that mean the others have to wait another 24 hours to go in the brooder???

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

no.and it can go in as soon as it is fluffy as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by