Uh oh!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KelsiNS, Aug 6, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    I ordered a dozen "replacement" chicks (only lost five, 12 was the minimum order) and was told they wont be available for a few weeks. Good, gives the older chicks time to go outside.

My phone rings today. Babies will be here tomorrow.

I have two brooders with 14 chicks a piece. One heater, two lamps. My current set will be 9 days old when these arrive. I have nowhere to put another brooder if i even had one. These are taking up most of my bedroom as is.

How dangerous is it to put day old chicks with 9 day old chicks? Should i crowd 28 chicks in the same brooder to give the 12 their own, or can i split the new brood in half with the older chicks, as long as i keep a close eye on them?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Day olds should be fine with nine day olds. Separate brooder is your call - but I think it's more about crowding than age differences. Good luck to you!

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
  4. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Do you have garage that isn't air conditioned? Today, I put my day olds out in the (draft free) garage w/o a heat lamp because it stays in the high 86-90 day/night. The chicks aren't clumping together or peeping too much, so they are feeling fine. Tonight I'll cover them, but I don't plan on putting a lamp on mine at all. In this area it's supposed to be 100+ for the next 10 days.

5. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    We dont have a garage at all-i have them in literally the only place they can go.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    If you just can not quarantine then I'd pick one brooder and just add them in. They grow so fast that there might be more of a difference than you'd think but besides dividing one brooder in two there aren't really any other options. I'm sure it'll be alright! [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would just put them in with the 9-day olds. Just watch them for any signs of bullying, make sure they are eating and drinking, and they should be fine

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm really not aware of a reason to quarantine a day old chick, I'd be interested to see reasoning on that. What on earth could they have, just out of the egg?

Day old to 9 days should be fine. The thing you're going to have problems with is just enough space for everyone. Overcrowding will cause way more problems than a week's age difference.

9. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Thanks for the tips! Im planning on trying to make a makeshift brooder for the young'ins

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by