Uh, um, ohhh... uh?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nes, Jun 18, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Can my new plymouth rock rooster eat layer ration with out problem?
    I mean, I would assume they could, since it would be hard, if you kept your rooster in with your hens, to feed them separate feed...'
    I'm not actually sure how old he is (auction bird), but he's definitely not fully mature yet.

They also get access to such a large run there isn't really a need to let the free-range although I wouldn't mind doing that if we had more birds.

2. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    he should be fine it would just put more on his kiddneys that isnt needed

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Mine get layer, never seen a bag just for roosters...Does the run have grass and they get scratch? If not, you can add that and pulled clovers, it will lessen everyone's intake on the layer feed. [​IMG]

4. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Our ladies already don't eat tons of the layer ration because they get so much grass & bug, etc. (plus a little scratch thrown out in the run).
    I won't worry about it then [​IMG]

5. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    My roos that are in with the hens eat layer. My bachelor roos eat 1 part layer to 7 parts scratch.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My roosters have eaten layer feed with the hens for years. Happy to report that this hasn't been one of our problems.

7. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    read the labels, there isnt much difference between the different feeds, and like ive said on other posts, this aint rocket science, THEY'RE CHICKENS...throw it out there and they'll eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by