Uhh.....I was on Vacation!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Saltiena, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    Can Someone Tell Me When You Are Supposed To Clip There Wings? I Think I Missed IT, They Are 3 Weeks And 2 Days- And i Kno I Havn't Been Able To Transfer My Pics Yet- But I Have Them, So I Can Try And Get Them On Today- They Don't Look Like That Anymore, But the Pics Still Look Cute- LoL

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Some people clip their wings to keep them from flying. Personally, I'd rather my birds be able to fly up into a tree if they need to get away from a predator.

Dawn

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It doesn't matter when. If you choose to do it, you can at any age. I've never clipped anyone's wings. Never had anyone who could really fly that well anyway. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't clip them.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I don't clip their wings eather. I think they are more natural with a full set of wings, not to mention safer.

5. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Mine are 9 weeks old and some can fly 10ft across but none have flown over 3-4 ft high. They fly as soon as we let them out to stretch their wings then not much after that. I don't plan on clipping their wings either.

6. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    oK i'm starting to pick up on vibe that i shouldn't clip them, that makes it much easier for me, but mine can go up 2-3 feet in the air, enough to get on top of the brooder, then they hop and walk accross the room untill i get them and put them back that isn't really a problem since they hav a room to themselves, but i donn't want them---doing there bussiness--- on the floor and i can't really put a cover over it b/c of the way the heat lamp iss on how can i keep them in?

oh and thanks for the answers be4 i went in there w/ sizzos [​IMG]

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Can you put newspaper on the floor? Glad you decided not to clip! And, JYFO, when you clip wings, you only clip ONE and be sure to go online to see how to do it. I clipped a few of mine who would fly over my fence and go walking all over the neighborhood. I live in the suburbs and didn't want anything to happen to them.

Ellen

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    It sounds like they are out growing the brooder. Maybe its time to think about getting something larger for the brooder or moving them to the coop? [​IMG]

9. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    That's why I got mine out in their coop at three weeks. They just needed more space to run and spread their wings. I brought them inside at night for another few days, and now they're outside full time and loving it.

10. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My girls on fly when they are chasing each other and then it only a foot or two off the ground. I guess they can fly faster than they can run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by