Uhhh, what's going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MontanaDolphin, Jul 23, 2013.

1. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Songster

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Quick background: I have 9 chickens...Barred Rocks: 1 rooster, 2 pullets, 22 weeks old tomorrow. 6 Commercial Blacks (BR cross), all pullets, 17 weeks old tomorrow.

A couple of days ago, one of my girls (don't know which one) started making all sorts of racket. I had put a golf ball in one of the nesting boxes because my son (he's 10) has been checking for eggs multiple times a day, and he's been learning a lot about chickens and asked me "Mom, if we put a ball in there, will it make them lay?" I said "Probably not, but lets put a golf ball in there and see, ok?" I figured the noise was because one of the girls thought she laid an egg.

This morning I went out there to let them out of the coop into their secure run, and I watched as three of them were making the same racket...one older pullet who was outside in the run, and my rooster and younger pullet still inside the coop. The younger pullet is in a nesting box, and the roo (Zeus), sitting in it right in front of her...both making this loud clucking racket.

I ran in the house and grabbed my camera and recorded them. What does all this noise mean? Is the younger pullet getting ready to lay? If so, isn't she too young? She's only a day shy of 17 weeks old...BUT...she has a larger comb and wattles than her sisters...it's like she didn't have them one day, then the next day I was like holy crap, I hope she isn't a cockerel!! And why is Zeus making the same noise? And the older pullet who's not even a part of whatever's going on between Zeus and the younger pullet? I am inside on my computer and I can hear them still making the same racket...and my windows are closed!!!

Here's the video...don't mind the camera work (lol), I wasn't really paying attention to what I was recording...just wanted to get the sound on camera. You'll see the pullet in the nesting box at the end...notice how big and red her comb and wattles are?

This is my first time owning chicks, any insight is greatly appreciated!!

2. gilmoujr

gilmoujr In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    That is the egg song. She will be laying soon (if not already).

buk-buk-buk-bukak. It is a sound of beauty. I get to hear it multiple times per day.

3. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Songster

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Why is Zeus and the other pullet singing the same song? Zeus certainly won't be laying an egg anytime soon (at least I HOPE NOT!!! Lol...an egg-laying rooster, wouldn't that be a sight??? [​IMG]). And my older pullet (Boring Girl) is singing the same song, as if in response to Zeus and the younger pullet (I named the younger six but can't tell them apart anymore, so I'm screwed [​IMG]). Why are they both joining in with the "egg song"?

4. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Songster

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    They are cackling or also called there "egg song". It means a hen is going to lay an egg soon. I have no idea why the roosters do it but even my roosters cackle. Your pullet in the nesting box looks female to me. I had a barred rock hen with a big comb and wattles but not as big as rooster but bigger than your pullet. Good luck with your chickens :)

5. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Songster

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Yep she's definitely a female...I went out there again to check cuz they were being so LOUD, and look what I found!!! Our first egg!!!! Woohooo!!! I'm surprised it came from one of the younger pullets...I expected it from the 21 week olds, not one of the 17 week olds!! Now, do I leave it in there or take it right away? Is there something special about a first egg for a chicken?? Will she be ticked off if I take it? If I can take it away, is it ok to eat? Or do you throw away the first few eggs (Sorry for the noob questions...these are my first chicks, so I'm clueless when it comes to the eggs!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. Take it out and it is ok to eat... you do not want to leave the eggs in there, because if the break the chickens will eat them and from what I have read that is a very hard thing to break them of. Congrats on your first egg!

1 person likes this.
  7. K Spot

K Spot Songster

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Yep, egg song! I love that sound [​IMG]

Sometimes roos join in for the fun of it - to announce to everyone, one of his girls is about to lay an egg.

1 person likes this.
  8. nab58

nab58 Songster

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Congratulations!! Your son must be thrilled!

Thanks for posting the video too. I'm awaiting my first egg and it was interesting to see/hear the commotion.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ciqala

Ciqala Songster

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Congratulations on your first egg! Thanks for sharing the video, I'm a chicken noob too and mine are coming up on being ready to lay and now I'll know what the egg song sounds like. My goodness, they really let everyone know don't they? lol

1 person likes this.
  10. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Songster

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    I'm glad the video helps y'all out! I had no idea what an "egg song" was LOL. It is LOUD!!

As for my wonderful first egg...

I woke up this morning to a microwave door being slammed. When I came out to the kitchen, my eldest son (10 yrs old) had a fork in a cooked egg. I said "What are you doing??" He said, "Eating the egg the chicken laid yesterday."

[​IMG]

I was so upset!! I was going to cook it this morning, and let my two sons have a bite, THEN let my eldest eat the rest (he's been checking for eggs every single day and has been DYING to eat one). I was also going to be very careful cracking the egg open so I could save the shell! He wasn't gentle at all...I found the shell in pieces in the trash. The worst part is, I'm afraid he might get sick...he didn't wash the egg before he cracked it open!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: